OT back pain

  • flylo_2000
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18, 2003
      I'm about to go 'no mail' on most of my Yahoo groups but checked in
      with this one before doing so. Was surprised to see a topic I can
      relate to. Two wks ago a mare knocked me to my butt. Landed flat on my
      back and have been in dire pain ever since. Muscle spasms when I try
      to turn over in bed, getting up/down hurts enough to make me think I'm
      going to pass out. Went to the chiropractor (who probably made it
      worse), then finally to a doctor. They all think I 'just' pulled
      muscles in my lower back, right lumbar region. If it's not better in a
      week, I'll go in for xrays to make sure I didn't damage my spine, but
      I don't think so. Pain is pretty localized.
      anyhow, compounding the problem is I cook for a living, lifting hot,
      heavy pots and stacking boxes of food (meat, vegetables, etc). in
      freezers. So, giving my back a rest isn't going to happen. Since
      taking this job, I've been on my feet and off my seat more and after I
      got used to the initial shock of being on cement flooring for 9+ hour
      stretches, I feel it's better for me than an office/clerical position
      would have been. (they're paying me to exercise.)
      In 1983, we first moved to the farm and I'd been working in banks,
      offices, prior. totally sit down jobs. I found I couldn't stand for
      more than a few minutes at a time without leaning on something! The
      muscles in the backs of my legs had 'atrophied' to the point of not
      wanting to straighten out naturally. To this day I can walk 'forever'
      but can't stand in one spot for very long.
      Post isn't relative to farming or gardening, but I can relate to back
      pain right now! martha