Fukuoka Farming in New Mexico

  • apples2sheep
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 10, 2002
      Hello I'm Carol in Northern New Mexico.

      I planning to apply many of Fukuoka's farming ideas to 3 acres of
      virgin, irrigated land in the Espanola Valley.

      Does anyone know of the best suited ground cover and
      vegetable combinations that would work in an arid, high desert
      climate?

      Thank you.
    • souscayrous
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 10, 2002
        If you haven't already come across the Central Rocky Mountain Permaculture
        Institute (www.crmpi.org) it might be a good place to start, they're at
        7000' feet in Colorado: colder than you certainly, but with only 14inches of
        rain annually.
        It's difficult to be more specific, but if you could give us an idea of what
        you'd like to do with your land someone may have some more specific
        information from personal experience. Certainly, the books by Fukuoka aren't
        going to offer much practical help for your climate, but conceptually he is
        useful whatever the situation.

        Souscayrous

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 10, 2002
          Check with SeedsofChange.com. They are located in New Mexico also. The man who began Seeds of Change began by planting daikon radishes into his soil that had been so hard it could not be plowed anyway. He didn't harvest the radishes. He left them in the ground that first year. They were not very good anyway. Then the second year he just planted the same thing again in the same place again leaving them in the ground. In the third year he had wonderful soil and marketable daikon radishes. He may be a good person to ask such questions. I am sure there is an email address for him at the site.

          Gloria
          Texas

        • Chuck West
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 10, 2002
            I haven't been participating in the discussion much of late, but this
            message caught my attention. How does one go about irrigating land without
            taking away its virginity? Could this be leading up to another immaculate
            conception?

            Chuck in Indiana