Re: our brother is backwith us!

  • Gloria C. Baikauskas
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 7, 2003
      Ah! Larry! Isn't being greeted with such warmth truly heartwarming?
      *g* We are all glad you are back with us.

      On the weeds thing.......Larry......do yourself a favor and see what
      weeds are growing first..before you try to erradicate them with any
      method. It has been something I have worked with this year a bit. I
      have found that weeds may not be the enemy. It is known that the
      weeds will bring up nutrients beyond the intended plants' reach for
      one thing. I had weeds I left around my strawberries and grapes, for
      instance. They were thriving. My dh pulled them one day to be ever
      so helpful. The plants stopped thriving. I allowed new weeds to
      take their place...and the strawberries and grapes began to thrive
      once again.

      I do realize that some weeds are allelopathic....and can cause other
      problems as well. I suspect that we often shoot ourselves in the
      foot when we pull them...or in any way remove them from our gardens.

      Thinking about Nature's gardens.....Nature doesn't pull weeds, but
      allows them to live in tandem with the other plants. I seriously
      doubt Nature considers any plants weeds.

      I don't know the names of all the weeds I left growing. Going to
      work on identifying them soon. I need to find someone to teach me.
      Trying to learn them all from books and online is proving confusing.
      I do think this may be an important element in successfully growing
      Fukuoka's way.....or any other.
      Gloria
    • Larry Haftl
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 7, 2003
        Hi Gloria,

        > Ah! Larry! Isn't being greeted with such warmth truly heartwarming?

        Yes it is, and it sure beats the heck out of getting stoned to death for
        letting the website become temporarily inaccessible.

        Actually, I've made peace with the weeds. All of them. I was just wishing
        there were more edible things out there as well - tomatoes, melons, squash,
        etc.

        I've decided on what I'll do in areas where I want to suppress the weeds in
        order to grow the less aggressive vegetables. I'm just going to cut the
        grass/weeds short in that area and then cover the entire area with a thick
        layer of straw. Wet the straw to start it on its way to decomposing, do a
        little localized turning through the winter as the more ambitious plants
        push through the straw (lift the straw mulch so the plants are pulled back
        through it, and then lay the mulch layer back on top of those weeds to cover
        them and make them expend more energy trying to poke through the mulch
        layer.) Come spring I'll just plant right into the area, probably with a
        combination of transplants (my greenhouse will no longer be a chicken coop
        by then) and some direct seeding. Not even going to dig paths between the
        "beds", just mark them somehow to keep from walking on the planting areas.

        I've got two prime areas I'm thinking about doing this to. One is the area
        where I wanted to put the raised beds this year. Completely overrun with a
        wide variety of plants, none of them tender vegetables. The other area is
        where the chicken tractor has been moving over. Great crop of white clover
        with most of the other weeds except dandelions completely knocked down.
        Seriously chicken manured. Probably prime area for putting in a traditional
        vegetable garden next spring. Maybe I'll move the chicken tractors to the
        area that was supposed to be raised beds and use the birds to weed/fertilize
        it through the winter and next year, then rotate the areas each year.

        This is getting very interesting. No tilling, no heavy back-breaking labor,
        no added inputs other than chicken feed (which gives us a lot of eggs,
        chickens fresh and in the freezer, and new chicks in the spring to keep the
        cycle going.) Biggest danger is those very dangerous sacks of chicken feed
        (it was one of those )(^*#!%*^% that caused me to tear the back muscles in
        the first place).

        Larry Haftl
        larry@...
        http://LarryHaftl.com
        http://FukuokaFarmingOL.net
      • Gloria C. Baikauskas
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 7, 2003
          Sounds like a mighty good plan to me, Larry.
          Gloria