Re: [fukuoka_farming] to ta9r, on watering.

  • GLORIA BAIKAUSKAS
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3, 2002
      Here in Johnson Co., Texas, a few years ago our local coop water company put us on water rationing. We could only water every 5 days. I panicked immediately since I had planted many trees that year. But, I discovered that not only could what I planted last 5 days in the heat without water, but they could also go longer. I suppose it is because I planted native trees for one. Sometimes I couldn't get to watering everything in that one day, so things would have to go much longer than that. And they lived. They were mulched to some extent.

      But isn't that the point to natural farming and gardening? That nature will take care of what belongs and discard what doesn't? I rarely water now at all even with newly planted things. For one thing I try to plant in the winter when we get more rain. By the time the heat comes the plants and trees are fairly well adjusted to their surroundings. Even the grass that I have doesn't get watered. People look at me like I must be crazy since it will die......but it thrives and is lush.

      I am beginning to think the plants' worst problem is people trying to take care of them. And that includes me <grins>!

      Gloria
      Tx