Re: [fukuoka_farming] Thick matted grass, consider burning.

  • les landeck
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1, 2003
      Hi Mark, thank you for your interest. in my area we
      have to many homes in the half million plus value, the
      environment in regards to smoke is another
      problem.(California, is also banning the burning of
      rice straw.)i would like to find a source of
      organically grow rice straw. and for my fields needs
      every bit of growth was necessary in fiber form to
      protect the soil and build a habitat for the microbial
      world. with a well producing only fifteen gallons per
      minute it's a stretch to maintain three plus acres
      salad greens and root crops, we do not have any rain
      starting in May until late October and at times into
      December. i'm considering a move to Oregon, and i'm
      wighting the possibility of going to chicken tractors,
      maybe with some geese and ducks. thats another storie.
      i believe there is a place or maybe better a time to
      burn a field. maybe every ten or twenty years. i don't
      believe the Native Americans would burn the same field
      each year. but i may be wrong. i like to think about
      the book Secrete Life of Plants before i do anything
      to disrupt any life on the field.do i always chose the
      life affirming way? No. i have to make choices, i only
      can hope to find a way to make a better choice the
      next time. thats my storie Mark come back to me with
      more of yours. do well Les

      Do you Yahoo!?