"The largest beets you can buy"

  • Robert Monie
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 23, 2003
      Hi Everyone,

      Sharon recommended, in addition to daikon and dandelion, "the largest beets you can buy" to add organic matter to poor soil.

      For most of us, the largest beets we can buy would be the mangel red or yellow varieties used for livestock. In good soil, these can grow from 15 to 30 pounds; in poor soil prepared with cover crops (buckwheat, soy, hairy vetch) they can still grow pretty well and are an excellent source of carbon.

      Some sources for giant mangels are www.bountifulgardens.org (the yellow variety) and Baker Creek Heirlooms, www.rareseeds.com (the red variety).

      Bountiful gardens also carries a domesticated form of dandelion unlikely to present serious problems as a weed.

      Bob Monie, south Louisiana

    • Art Petrzelka
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 23, 2003
        On Sat, 2003-08-23 at 10:36, Robert Monie wrote:
        > Sharon recommended, in addition to daikon and dandelion, "the largest
        > beets you can buy" to add organic matter to poor soil.
        > For most of us, the largest beets we can buy would be the mangel red
        > or yellow varieties used for livestock. In good soil, these can grow

        For larger amounts of seed, try Albert Lea Seed House www.alseed.com and
        Barenbrug's US division, www.barusa.com
        They're both big on pasture and forage seeds, including brassicas and
        other uncommon forage crops. Their prices are good, too.