soil amendments

  • souscayrous
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2002
      Further to my questions regarding the sheep manure and grape pressings, your
      found regarding the manure is 'Manures for Organic Crop Production' in PDF
      format at ATTRA (www.attra.org), for those who haven't yet come a cross
      Appropriate Technology Transfer to Rural Areas, check out the site for a
      very wide range of excellent information.
      This document suggests that manure can unbalance the nutrients in the soil,
      lead to acidity and like some commercial fertilizers can burn seedling
      roots, reduce immunity to pests and shorten the storage life of the crop.
      Composted manure seems the best way to use the supply I have, yet it seems
      that it also needs careful attention in application. For what has been the
      traditional organic growers primary soil amendment to improve crops, it
      seems nothing can ever be taken for granted. *But* I suppose the difference
      between organic and Natural Farming is where to concentrate the benefits;
      the crop or the soil!

      Souscayrous