Re: food exchanges (off topic)

  • Gloria C. Baikauskas
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 17, 2003
      Gee, Napi......this is a bit discouraging.....but not surprising. It
      is sad that all the groups you worked with before sold out to others
      until it all came down to corporate guys in suits. Isn't that just
      what happened with so many of the family farms? I guess each group
      figured someone else would step up to provide the quality they had
      produced.

      It sounds like the process of bringing in food will need to be done
      more underground somehow. As you point out it is a while before next
      year's gardens. Do you have greenhouses?

      I have been wondering if there is any process now with the mail
      service regarding the Homeland Security issues here.....and possibly
      some other entity abroad.....that might cause harm to the food stuffs
      mailed. Would XRaying mail/packages cause harm to the food stuffs?

      I have never tried mailing much food myself. Does someone on this
      list have more experience with it?
      Gloria
    • Robert Waldrop
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 17, 2003
        I suggest looking in your local area for organic foods. Since you
        probably know about what you buy each year, you could think about
        perhaps contracting with someone to grow the organic produce you need
        for your school and other uses. Personally, I think the longer
        distance that something is shipped, the less organic it is.

        Another idea is to put some effort into jumpstarting a local food
        system in your area. In May 2002, I put up the website
        www.oklahomafood.org and began looking for local food resources. This
        past Friday, we started selling memberships in our local food order
        delivery service. People are involved in every part of the state.

        There are lots of opportunities for people to start organic no till
        market gardens. About 50 miles southeast of OKC there is a small
        rural community about to lose 600 jobs when a Wrangler factory moves
        to Mexico. We are doing an outreach to those workers to encourage
        them to start no till organic market gardens as a way to create their
        own secure local jobs.

        Letter to Wrangler workers http://www.oklahomafood.org/workers.htm
        Info about our local food delivery service we are organizing
        http://www.oklahomafood.org/okfoodservice.htm .

        (All this organizing work is one reason I haven't been posting much
        this summer.)

        Robert Waldrop, okc

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 17, 2003
          Good Morning, All,

          < We like the food exchange idea also. It has been hard for us to pursue. Is
          anyone else part of a food buying network who can tell us how it is going for
          them locally these days?>
          we have a local food coop selling in order of priority
          local( our island ) organic produce and meats
          local non certified produce and meats
          vancouver island produces and meats ...
          British colombia " '' '' '' '' '' '' '' '''''''''
          usa organic
          it is a coop who is own by producers and customers together . since it is open it encourage many local peoples to grow more foods knowing they don't have to worry with the big competition , any produces brought there is almost guaranteed to be bought.

          < In our organic food cooperative in Richmond, Virginia, we have been having
          difficulty with trying to arrange a monthly truck shipment of fresh produce
          because of various state licenses & the sales tax imbroglio. If all we served
          at this school were native plants, it would be easier to work out. Since we
          give our children exotics like citrus fruit & bananas that we will not be able
          to grow here, nomatter how lush our summer garden, we must now arrange for a new
          distributor.>

          because of this kind of nightmare i am proposing one to one exchange to bypass any kind of organisation ( governements included ) that burden our life with stupid reglementations.
          those rules are not stupids in fact but have a purpose that is not the one we have chosen for ourselves here.( nature's rules )the purpose of spinning out center toward more and more artificiality .

          at the scale of our little coop ( 250 members may be )there is allready lot of those crappy reglementations like certified kitchens that stop producers to makes more products.( i can't sell my dry salmon there and that is good because i want to send it to who appreciate its value )
          we got to go underground as gloria suggested .that is where beautifull plants can root.no positive changes to expect from the way up to down .

          < Would you accept shipment of a purportedly organic product from this list,
          without third-party certification? I might personally, but we could not in good
          conscience feed the children with food from an un-visited source.

          i will, because trusting one personal contact is more easy to me than trusting any kind of certifications program ( i have been a certified organic grower ) .
          that is the beauty of the system of direct exchange we don't need proof because we have no interest in cheating .
          when i send products dried at low temperature as most of my "food exhanges "relations want , i better be true , because they don't send me money that can hide any thing , but real foods that i judge by myself the quality . i don't need a third party to decide for me what is good quality ,my tongue know the difference . It is parcticuliarly true for us who eat undenatured unseasonned raw foods ,we notice when the food is denatured in one way or an other .
          by the way for the nuts exchange i would like to happen i want nuts dried at low tempreature at any time of the process ( below 35 degre celsius ) no washing either of shells as i believe a natural oil film seal the nuts , left by the rotting husk wshing too carefully or too long of soaking will makes the shell porous letting air more possibilty to oxydise the nuts .
          i quickly rince walnuts when the husk have left too much stuff as it will facilitate too much molds during the drying . most ofetne i don't need because i husk at the right time .
          jean-claude