Re: [fukuoka_farming] Digest Number 545

  • Beverley Paine
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 11, 2003
      Hello all,

      I'm reading the posts with interest... Are there any Australians on the
      list? I live in South Australia - Mediteranean climate - hot summers cool
      winters, on clay soil over limestock bedrock, on a steep hill facing south
      (sun is in the northern sky). We've been permies for sometime, and we
      homeschool.

      all the best,
      Beverley Paine

      children's author : home education consultant : Unschool~Kidz! editor :
      permaculture information
      www.beverleypaine.com
    • penny_wia
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 4, 2003
        Hi Beverley and all on this list. I am from a dry area of North
        Queensland Australia. I have only just heard of the fukuoka farming
        method and joined this list to learn more.
        Flo
        PS I have met you on the NZhomeschooling list previously

        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Beverley Paine
        <beverleypaine@o...> wrote:
        > Hello all,
        >
        > I'm reading the posts with interest... Are there any Australians on
        the
        > list? I live in South Australia - Mediteranean climate - hot
        summers cool
        > winters, on clay soil over limestock bedrock, on a steep hill
        facing south
        > (sun is in the northern sky). We've been permies for sometime, and
        we
        > homeschool.
        >

        > all the best,
        > Beverley Paine
        >
        > children's author : home education consultant : Unschool~Kidz!
        editor :
        > permaculture information
        > www.beverleypaine.com
      • Gloria C. Baikauskas
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 5, 2003
          Great to have you with us, Flo! It would seem you have been reading
          the messages. If you will check in the files, you will find more
          information, including excerpts from some of Fukuoka's books.

          Another great place for things to read online is
          http://www.soilandhealth.org

          Do you have much land there? Or do you live in town?
          Gloria, Texas, US
        • penny_wia
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 6, 2003
            We are on 2.4 acres, but might be moving soon to 9 acres, so it is a
            bit difficult knowing anything I do in the garden, I might not be
            around to follow-up. I don't have a green thumb. When I try and
            grow vegetables conventionally (but without chemicals), they don't
            seem to do too well. I have just read a book about the bio-intensive
            method, and so am trying that now, but I just heard about the Fukuoka
            method and would like to look into it more, because it seems less
            destructive to plants. Also, I have been learning about the
            possibility of taking an Ahisma non-destructive approach to farming,
            which would require eating only fruit as that is non-destructive to
            plants (I think the plants want us to eat their fruit). Actually, it
            is my partner's goal to be able to grow enough high-protein, high-
            other-necessary-nutrients fruit to be able to be fruitarian.
            It is Spring here in Australia, and very dry at the moment in
            Townsville.

            Flo

            --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Gloria C. Baikauskas"
            <gcb49@f...> wrote:
            > Great to have you with us, Flo! It would seem you have been
            reading
            > the messages. If you will check in the files, you will find more
            > information, including excerpts from some of Fukuoka's books.
            >
            > Another great place for things to read online is
            > http://www.soilandhealth.org
            >
            > Do you have much land there? Or do you live in town?
            > Gloria, Texas, US
          • Gloria C. Baikauskas
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 6, 2003
              --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "penny_wia" <flowia@r...>
              wrote:
              I don't have a green thumb. When I try and
              > grow vegetables conventionally (but without chemicals), they don't
              > seem to do too well.

              When you say conventionally.......do you mean not organically? I was
              not sure what you meant there. Even Fukuoka used chicken manure in
              his gardens in the beginning at least.

              I started here with basically dead soil. It is still coming to life,
              so-to-speak. I am not rushing it. It means that sometimes things
              don't grow well for me.......and I have always had a green thumb. I
              do have chickens, but when I fertilize I most often use rabbit
              manure. One reason for that is that often rabbits are fed things
              like alfalfa....which also helps plants. Rabbit manure doesn't have
              to be aged.......can be used directly on the soil.

              Saying all of that....you might consider that interplanting will give
              you the proper nutrient mix in the soil for your plants.
              And .....weeds will do a wonderful job of both adding nutrients to
              the soil......and bringing them up from further down in the soil
              where the plants' roots cannot reach them to a place where they can.

              One of the things about 'natural' gardening/farming is paying
              attention to how Nature grows things. You won't find many plants
              telling the weeds to take a hike. I think we get too carried away
              with making things neat and tidy.....trying to make them too pleasing
              to the eye.

              It is hard to put one's heart into a project knowing one will be
              moving on to another place. Just think that whatever beneficial
              things you do for your present property may be just the building
              blocks needed there for future residents to garden/farm.
              Gloria