Re: Nara rice fields

  • norie
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 10, 2003
      > After I listned Fukuoka san talking in Kyoto I went to rise field in Nara
      > pref. near by Kyoto.> In which place I heared nothing. There was a
      > silent world. That was really the Silent Summer. You know the reason > why
      the field was silent ,don't you?

      Hi Nakata-san,

      Was the rice field a natural field? We usually hear frogs and plenty of
      other insects singing in the conventional rice paddies - but I'm assuming
      that maye if this was a naturally farmed field with no watering, there
      probably were no frogs and maybe a net of spiders was keeping the other
      insects from taking over....am I right? I'd love to visit Nara sometime as
      I've heard there are a lot of very rich green areas much less controlled
      than in Kyoto.

      Yesterday, I saw one husk of corn growing right out of the ground in a
      public park in the middle of Tokyo (Ochanomizu). I assumed it was not
      intended (by park attendants, anyway), since it was surrounded by many weeds
      and shaded by thick trees. I had some clay seedballs in my pocket and
      decided it might be a good place to sow a few, esp. since there were
      make-shift cardboard and tarp houses a few meters away.

      That got me to think that it might be fun to go around to all the urban
      parks and riversides where the 'homeless' are living and sow all my seeds
      for them. If we enrich the soil in the most unexpected places, maybe people
      will start to notice and catch on to the idea that everyone can grow their
      own food! :)

      Norie Fukuda
      Tokyo Japan
    • ??? ????
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 10, 2003
        First,thank you for the explanation about swales,Gloria san and Jean san.

        Hi!Norie san
        Nara is called the end of the silk road,and the beginning of the Fukuro
        green
        road.The word of Fukuro is consisted by Fukuoka and Lao-tse.

        Now,the rice paddies was controlled by the farmers.Surelly your assuming is
        right that where there was no water there was no frogs or spiders,but I
        found
        the loach who was going to death at the channel. I guess he was going to be
        killed by the chemikal medicine.Usually ,living near by the rice paddies on
        summer we can not sleep well by the frogs singging GUA GUA GEKO GEKO all
        over the night.
        I am going to reserch the relation sleeping -no water-between
        singging-water-.

        Your thinking that seedball is used in urban is very good idea.The seedball
        is effectve for all mankind and all over the world!

        Nakata Hidekazu
        Yokohama Japan

        Was the rice field a natural field? but I'm assuming
        that maye if this was a naturally farmed field with no watering, there
        probably were no frogs and maybe a net of spiders was keeping the other
        insects from taking over....am I right?

        That got me to think that it might be fun to go around to all the urban
        parks and riversides where the 'homeless' are living and sow all my seeds
        for them. If we enrich the soil in the most unexpected places, maybe
        people
        will start to notice and catch on to the idea that everyone can grow their
        own food! :)

        Norie Fukuda
        Tokyo Japan

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor