Re: [fukuoka_farming] swales in French ?

  • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 9, 2003
      My big dictionary doesn't tell me what a SWALE is.
      Is there a French word for swale ?

      c'est juste une tranchee creusee dans la terre parrallele aux courbes de
      niveau ou avec une pente tres douce pour retenir l'eau de surface courant
      sur la pente .ces tranchees peuvent etre connectees pour distribuer l'eau
      tout le long de la pente .l'eau venant du haut s'accumule dans ce fosse et
      doucement infiltre la terre
      jean-claude
    • Gloria C. Baikauskas
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 9, 2003
        Never worry, Jean-Claude! My love of trees means they are an
        integral part of all landscaping, growing on my property. I plan all
        beds around trees here....except....

        In this one case with the swales I dug.....I didn't have any trees
        nearby. I am hoping to correct that by adding at least one tree
        where the swales exist. In a dryland setting such as Texas it is
        imperative to me to have trees. My orchard is on the slope of this
        hill. I need to add some trees with larger canopies there to help
        them, though. I hadn't come to this information when I had planted
        them. I didn't know of either Fukuoka then, nor Permaculture.

        The way I learned of Fukuoka at all was when I posted something I had
        begun doing that was yielding a great success for me. Someone on
        that list mentioned that what I had done was just as Fukuoka said to
        do in his books....and mentioned this list group. I learned of
        Permaculture after that. The Man Who Farms Water URL sent here was
        the inspiration for my swales.....not Permaculture which I learned
        about here.

        I am a seeker who does things on my own and seems to have come to the
        same ideas along the way as Fukuoka in some instances. I am still
        learning...as are we all all the days of our lives.
        Gloria