Acacia

  • Danny Wilson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2002
      Hello all. With common names varying from region to region, I'm not sure
      which acacia Mr. Fukuoka is referring to.
      He mentions the Morishima Acacia - also called a Black Wattle (if these are
      the same trees). I've read in another book about a tree called an Acacia
      melanoxylon - also known as a Blackwood Wattle - which grows very fast to 30
      meters. I've also read about an Acacia decurrens - also called a Black
      Wattle - which grows very fast to 12 meters.
      Does anyone know exactly which tree Mr. Fukuoka uses to condition the deeper
      soil strata? I'm in the Sierra Nevada foothills (hard red clay) in Northern
      California, so if I don't find a tree around here, does anyone know where to
      get seeds? Thank you for any help.

      danny

    • burt levy
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2002
        For information on the Black Wattle, type in Black
        Wattle acacia and hit search. There is a bunch of web
        sites describing it and it's uses. Apparently it is a
        native Australian tree. Since Mr. Fukuoka doesn't use
        the scientific name, I'm pretty sure thats the one.
        Also I believe that any acacia and mimosa tree will do
        good because they are legumes that fix nitrgen into
        the soil,and develop a deep root system quickly. I
        also live in No. Cal. near the foothills. One thing
        good about that is there is plenty of red clay to make
        seedballs with.--- Danny Wilson

        http://auctions.yahoo.com