swales in French ?

  • Catherine Dionisi
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 9, 2003
      My big dictionary doesn't tell me what a SWALE is.
      Is there a French word for swale ?

      Catherine

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 9, 2003
        My big dictionary doesn't tell me what a SWALE is.
        Is there a French word for swale ?

        c'est juste une tranchee creusee dans la terre parrallele aux courbes de
        niveau ou avec une pente tres douce pour retenir l'eau de surface courant
        sur la pente .ces tranchees peuvent etre connectees pour distribuer l'eau
        tout le long de la pente .l'eau venant du haut s'accumule dans ce fosse et
        doucement infiltre la terre
        jean-claude
      • Gloria C. Baikauskas
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 9, 2003
          Never worry, Jean-Claude! My love of trees means they are an
          integral part of all landscaping, growing on my property. I plan all
          beds around trees here....except....

          In this one case with the swales I dug.....I didn't have any trees
          nearby. I am hoping to correct that by adding at least one tree
          where the swales exist. In a dryland setting such as Texas it is
          imperative to me to have trees. My orchard is on the slope of this
          hill. I need to add some trees with larger canopies there to help
          them, though. I hadn't come to this information when I had planted
          them. I didn't know of either Fukuoka then, nor Permaculture.

          The way I learned of Fukuoka at all was when I posted something I had
          begun doing that was yielding a great success for me. Someone on
          that list mentioned that what I had done was just as Fukuoka said to
          do in his books....and mentioned this list group. I learned of
          Permaculture after that. The Man Who Farms Water URL sent here was
          the inspiration for my swales.....not Permaculture which I learned
          about here.

          I am a seeker who does things on my own and seems to have come to the
          same ideas along the way as Fukuoka in some instances. I am still
          learning...as are we all all the days of our lives.
          Gloria