Re: Gloria's haven

  • norie
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 8, 2003
      Hi again, Gloria,

      What a great story about your wading pool and the haven you've created for
      other creatures there. Sounds like a little paradise you have! A wading
      pool sounds like a perfect solution to beat the heat there in sunny Texas.

      Yes, you answered my questions very well - and personally don't think you've
      said too much at all and would like to hear much more! )

      You reminded me about one of the important things Fukuoka stated in the
      video - that if you water the plants, they grow to rely on surface water and
      their roots won't search any deeper. My memory does not yet come from
      experience, but just from information I receive, but I'm hoping that in
      time, like you, my experience will teach me these important things and I
      won't have to try to depend on my memory so much! : )

      I have only a small balcony full of plants - with a very rough spliced
      bamboo surfacing laid down over the waterproofing - I've let the dust and
      dirt collect under this surface over the 5 years I've been here and many
      vines have grown and I've noticed that each year brings a new variety. For
      the first time, one has flowered and also for the first time, I also have
      spiders spinning away. I think that's a nice sign of the development of a
      micro ecosystem. (Although I'm not sure what the landlord will think when
      he sees how we have allowed the vines to grow liberally up here - they are
      invisible from street level, so it is sure to be a surprise!)

      One funny story is that we (my boyfriend and I) had some freshly hatched
      newts (bred from our newts) in a little hibachi out there and the ones that
      got away and lived off of the shallow layer of dirt we found (in desperate
      need for water) had grown up to three times bigger than the ones we took out
      and put into our terrarium!

      Now it's me who has gone on!

      It's so inspiring to hear stories of your garden. I'd love to grow a pecan
      tree....how big is yours? When I lived in New Orleans, we'd harvest them
      from the median strips between the streets (along Elysian Feilds Avenue, I
      think)...Big hearty pecan trees were everywhere and people went around with
      their bags collecting those tasty nuts.....YUM!

      I'd love to hear what type of fruits are being harvested this summer from
      anyone on this list.

      Norie Fukuda
      Tokyo Japan
    • Gloria C. Baikauskas
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 8, 2003
        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "norie" <nfukuda@m...> wrote:
        > It's so inspiring to hear stories of your garden. I'd love to grow
        a pecan
        > tree....how big is yours? When I lived in New Orleans, we'd
        harvest them
        > from the median strips between the streets (along Elysian Feilds
        Avenue, I
        > think)...Big hearty pecan trees were everywhere and people went
        around with
        > their bags collecting those tasty nuts.....YUM!
        > Norie Fukuda
        > Tokyo Japan

        Norie.....I so enjoyed hearing your story. It made me realize that
        whether it is a plant, or amphibian, reptile, etc, that all things
        seem to grow best without our help no matter how well intended.
        Perhaps your landlord will enjoy your vines after all.

        My pecan trees (2) are 8 feet tall I think. I did not plant them
        from seed. We planted them as a further memorial to my father-in-law
        after his death nearly 2 years ago. (We had already planted a lilac
        bush in his memory.) I do intend to try planting 2 more pecan trees
        from seed this fall to see the difference between the growth rates.
        They will not bear fruits for quite some time yet.

        I also have a peach tree, 2 European style pear trees, an Asian pear
        tree, and a plum tree. Curiously this year none of my fruit trees
        flowered, or bore fruit. I have no explanation for this at all. I
        also have a Mexican plum tree which is grown more as an ornamental
        tree than as a fruit tree. This year it also did not flower. I
        would like to add some apple trees, but it may be some time before I
        do that. Someone I know is going to send me some hickory nuts to try
        to grow this fall also.

        Gloria, Texas, US
      • Art Petrzelka
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 9, 2003
          On Fri, 2003-08-08 at 04:49, norie wrote:
          > I'd love to hear what type of fruits are being harvested this summer from
          > anyone on this list.

          It's a bumper crop this year for a lot of fruit. Since well over half of
          our food preservation is picked from "uncultivated" spots, we watch the
          wild patches closely.

          The black raspberries growing wild in our ravine were loaded this year.
          My wife picked all that we got this year. I didn't get to pick any, I
          hurt my leg when I forgot about the open spot in the floor of the corn
          crib. It was hard to balance on our sidehills with a gimp leg.

          The blackberries are ready now and are doing good, but the patch is not
          as thick as it used to be.

          The native black cherry trees are ripening. Their fruit is very small,
          but grows in racemes, like a spray of fruit. They are very dark, very
          sweet and mostly seed. I have never been able to pick them before
          because black cherry is a hardwood that grows to 60-80 feet tall. But
          since I quit pasturing a 40 acre patch in my farm, it is growing up in
          cherry.

          Gooseberry - I missed for the same reason as the raspberries. I got a
          few late ones in the woods, though. They have a nice, smooth taste when
          fully ripe.

          Elderberry - another good yielding year. Some are ripening already,
          others are still forming heads. I'm watching my favorites this year so I
          can propagate some. I tried planting seeds a couple of times, and
          learned that digging root suckersw or doing softwood cuttings is much
          easier.

          Wild grapes - thick as usual.

          Wild plum - It will be a very good year for wild plums. Last year, I
          didn't get a gallon. This year, I can get bushels. The wild plum is
          sweet, but astringent. It makes you pucker a bit.

          Honey pears - One tree left over from someone else's farmstead orchard.
          They are small and very sweet.

          Apples - many volunteers all over my hills. We are making apple pectin
          this year with some of the least tasty apples while they are still
          green. I have a volunteer Whitney crabapple, a very nice August eating
          apple, and a winter apple that tastes of wine or cider when ripe, right
          around first frost.

          Concord grape propagates itself all over. I'd like to get some growing
          on trellis.

          Hickory nuts - shagbark and shellbark look like they are forming well.
          The shellbark are much bigger. Tastier than a pecan, but harder to get
          out of the shell.

          Black walnuts are spotty. Some trees don't seem to have much. Last year,
          I filled up my pickup, and could have filled a semi if I could have
          picked them up fast enough.

          Mushrooms. I actually got some morels this spring. Usually, everybody
          else beats me to the mushroooms on my land. I like the fall mushrooms
          better, especially the button mushrooms and oyster mushrooms.

          --

          Art Petrzelka

          Amana, Iowa, USA
        • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 14, 2003
            Hickory nuts - shagbark and shellbark look like they are forming well.
            The shellbark are much bigger. Tastier than a pecan, but harder to get
            out of the shell.

            Black walnuts are spotty. Some trees don't seem to have much. Last year,
            I filled up my pickup, and could have filled a semi if I could have
            picked them up fast enough.

            to Art
            i will be interested to exchange the nuts that you are harvesting for filberts or english walnuts that i harvest here ,.
            to all
            i would like this kind of exchange to happens more between peoples interested in quality foods.
            it can help to bypass the food industry that as we know is going to produce more and more crap foods while the real ones are going to be abandonned . it will also enhance the spectrum of foods available to one diet.( in the mean time while our farms become productive... and nuts takes a long time )..
            anyone into it ? i can let people know about what i am proposing ( mostly dried natural meats , nuts mentionned above and dry fruits )

            jean-claude

          • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 14, 2003
              > I'd love to hear what type of fruits are being harvested this summer from
              > anyone on this list.

              we had salmon berries, thimble berries , trailing blackberries , red huckleberries , different kind of semi wild plums and cherries ( sown by birds ), now it is turn for blacberries ( 2 kinds broad leaves and "deeply cut" leaves )
              soon pears apples, purple plums , filberts and walnuts .
              jean-claude

            • Robin, Maya, or Napi
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 14, 2003
                This is a lovely thought, an exchange of organic foods with others on this
                list. It was discussed a while back, maybe here, maybe on another list, & then
                fizzled over the laws having to do with mailing foodstuffs or plant matter
                across borders. Not sure that it was impossible, but needed more research for
                each country.

                Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry wrote:

                > Hickory nuts - shagbark and shellbark look like they are forming well.
                > The shellbark are much bigger. Tastier than a pecan, but harder to get
                > out of the shell.
                >
                > Black walnuts are spotty. Some trees don't seem to have much. Last year,
                > I filled up my pickup, and could have filled a semi if I could have
                > picked them up fast enough.
                >

                > to Art
                > i will be interested to exchange the nuts that you are harvesting for
                > filberts or english walnuts that i harvest here ,.
                > to all
                > i would like this kind of exchange to happens more between peoples
                > interested in quality foods.
                > it can help to bypass the food industry that as we know is going to produce
                > more and more crap foods while the real ones are going to be abandonned . it
                > will also enhance the spectrum of foods available to one diet.( in the mean
                > time while our farms become productive... and nuts takes a long time )..
                > anyone into it ? i can let people know about what i am proposing ( mostly
                > dried natural meats , nuts mentionned above and dry fruits )
                >
                > jean-claude

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                [click here]

              • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 14, 2003
                  <This is a lovely thought, an exchange of organic foods with others on this
                  list. It was discussed a while back, maybe here, maybe on another list, & then
                  fizzled over the laws having to do with mailing foodstuffs or plant matter
                  across borders. Not sure that it was impossible, but needed more research for
                  each country.>

                  i have been doing it for years and didn't enconter much trouble .( just one parcel staying way too long at the customs in sept 91 but delivered anyway .
                  jean-claude

                • corfuku
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 16, 2003
                    > to Art
                    > i will be interested to exchange the nuts that you are
                    harvesting for filberts or english walnuts that i harvest here ,.
                    > to all
                    > i would like this kind of exchange to happens more between
                    peoples interested in quality foods.
                    > it can help to bypass the food industry that as we know is going
                    to produce more and more crap foods while the real ones are going to
                    be abandonned . it will also enhance the spectrum of foods available
                    to one diet.( in the mean time while our farms become
                    productive... and nuts takes a long time )..
                    > anyone into it ? i can let people know about what i am proposing
                    ( mostly dried natural meats , nuts mentionned above and dry
                    fruits )

                    > jean-claude

                    i have been off the internet for a while.... i like this idea; can
                    anyone tell me when the discussion on food exchanges had been
                    brought up earlier?
                    thanks
                    pavle