Weeds are good!

  • Art Petrzelka
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4 4:36 PM
      I was reading this book about how certain "deep-diving" weeds enhance
      the growth of other plants by providing channels through heavy ground
      for other roots, wick up moisture from deeper earth, and pull mineral
      nutrients up into the feeding zone of other plants.
      Weeds: Guardians of the Soil, by Joseph A. Cocannouer

      http://www.journeytoforever.org/farm_library/weeds/WeedsToC.html

      If you haven't looked at Journey to Forever, it's a great Web site for
      non-traditional farmers. And to think that I was feeling bad because I
      couldn't keep up with the weeds. My Brandywine tomatoes have leaves as
      big as my hand!
      --
      -----
      Art Petrzelka
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 5 5:32 PM
        talking about weeds - we spent this past weekend picking blueberries on
        our land and since it hasn't been farmed for quite a few years by the
        previous owners, we had to trample through high grasses and alot of weeds
        to get to them! The bushes tend to be surrounded by another bush with
        sweet smelling blossoms that attract bees that I have not yet identified,
        but appears to be a companion plant and yet it makes getting to the
        blueberries so difficult that we had to trample them down and makes me
        want to uproot them. I have to do some research. I was wondering if anyone
        here has experience with blueberries. we're located in northeast
        pennsylvania.

        Lucia

        --
        -lucia
        http://lrw.net

        () ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail
        /\ - against microsoft attachments
      • Mark Thomas Nickum
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 5 5:53 PM
          Surprisingly, the University of Florida (where I am currently) has done
          more than a little bit of research on blueberries. I don't have a website
          to send you to off hand, but the extension service makes short
          publications called "EDIS" publications. Try looking up edis, University
          of Florida, and Blueberries up on google and see what you get. And/or UF
          extension service.

          On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Lucia Ruedenberg Wright wrote:

          > talking about weeds - we spent this past weekend picking blueberries on
          > our land and since it hasn't been farmed for quite a few years by the
          > previous owners, we had to trample through high grasses and alot of weeds
          > to get to them! The bushes tend to be surrounded by another bush with
          > sweet smelling blossoms that attract bees that I have not yet identified,
          > but appears to be a companion plant and yet it makes getting to the
          > blueberries so difficult that we had to trample them down and makes me
          > want to uproot them. I have to do some research. I was wondering if anyone
          > here has experience with blueberries. we're located in northeast
          > pennsylvania.
          >
          > Lucia
          >
          > On 4 Aug 2003, Art Petrzelka wrote:
          >
          > > I was reading this book about how certain "deep-diving" weeds enhance
          > > the growth of other plants by providing channels through heavy ground
          > > for other roots, wick up moisture from deeper earth, and pull mineral
          > > nutrients up into the feeding zone of other plants.
          > > Weeds: Guardians of the Soil, by Joseph A. Cocannouer
          > >
          > > http://www.journeytoforever.org/farm_library/weeds/WeedsToC.html
          > >
          > > If you haven't looked at Journey to Forever, it's a great Web site for
          > > non-traditional farmers. And to think that I was feeling bad because I
          > > couldn't keep up with the weeds. My Brandywine tomatoes have leaves as
          > > big as my hand!
          > >

          > --
          > -lucia
          > http://lrw.net
          > "No, my friend, the way to have good and safe government, is not to trust
          > it all to one, but to divide it among the many, distributing to every one
          > exactly the functions he is competent to. It is by dividing and
          > subdividing these republics from the national one down through all its
          > subordinations, until it ends in the administration of every man's farm by
          > himself; by placing under every one what his own eye may superintend, that
          > all will be done for the best".
          > -- Thomas Jefferson, to Joseph Cabell, 1816

        • debi
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 6 3:56 PM
            ---

            I don't know about your area, but around here, blueberries and various
            forms of indigo grow, literally, into each other. Hard to get to the
            berries, without trampling all over the indigoes. If you go to:
            http://www.noble.org/imagegallery/woodhtml/wCommonIndex.html
            and take a look through both false and true indigoes, or perhaps find
            something else that is close, perhaps we could better find out what is
            there? When you say "bush" that suggests to me a woody or shrubby type
            of growth habit, is that correct?

            There are other bushes I can think of that perhaps may grow close to
            blueberries, who also enjoy the acid soil and thrive in partial shade,
            but the indigoes, at least here, are the ones that seem to be the most
            "familial" -heck, doggone close to"intimate" <G>. The branches of the
            two types intertwine, to be closer to truth. If you could give more
            info, such as leaf type, soil and light, type of soil, color, shape,
            and time of bloom, etc., that might help us track it down. Does the
            shrub have thorns? What color bark does it have? Is it a branching, or
            an "umbrella" type habit? Mutliple stems, like canes, or a central stem?

            In the meantime, anything that supplies bee goodies can't be all bad!
            Feed those Bees! Make them happy critters, and they will love you! <G>
            deb

            In
            fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Lucia Ruedenberg Wright <lucia@l...>

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 6 6:38 PM
              On Wed, 6 Aug 2003, debi wrote:

              > I don't know about your area, but around here, blueberries and various
              > forms of indigo grow, literally, into each other. Hard to get to the
              > berries, without trampling all over the indigoes. If you go to:
              > http://www.noble.org/imagegallery/woodhtml/wCommonIndex.html
              > and take a look through both false and true indigoes, or perhaps find
              > something else that is close, perhaps we could better find out what is
              > there? When you say "bush" that suggests to me a woody or shrubby type
              > of growth habit, is that correct?

              hi Debi - thanks for the url! it's great. I took a look. it is possible
              that it is an indigo but I don't remember the leaf being so frond-like. it
              is a woody shrubby plant tho and so close I have to trample it down in
              order to get to the berry bush.

              I'll get a picture of it. I'll be away for two weeks.

              -lucia