Re: Growing for the Health Supplement Market

  • debi
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 12, 2003
      I do not know the common names, "Canadian" or "California" thistle,
      and cannot seem to find the botanical name given in a previous post-
      Probably looked straight at it. Wanna hide something from me? Put it
      under my nose! But you have touched on a area of endearment of mine,
      you poor fellow!

      Most of the thistles, which are of the artichoke tribe, are medicinal
      and edible. Milk thistle (sylibium) is used as a specific for liver
      toxicity, both eradication and prevention. The active constituent,
      that I know of, responsible for this is sylimarin. All the thistles,
      to my knowledge, are bitters, stimulate liver function, and act as
      cleansing agents for the liver; one reason they are used as potherbs.
      Mild steaming with many wilts those spines, making them whimpy little
      things that couldn't hurt a thing. Some others need a good soaking and
      cooking to put them in their place. May also be eaten fresh by peeling
      the stalk, raw, and crunching away. There is a technique to this, to
      avoid the more uncomfortable aspects. Think: Broccoli Stem with a Bad
      Attitude. However, I don't eat the stalks too late in the season, the
      dang things around here just get a bit to woody for my taste. Aw, but
      those lovely purple-to-red flowers get popped in my (rather large)
      mouth almost as often as red clover! Sweet, wonderful flavor! The
      honey from thistle and fruit trees is exquisite, in my never humble
      opinion.

      Also, the roots and leaves (don't know about the flowers, have heard
      conflicting data there) have mild mineral electrolytic constiuents.
      Is helpful for those who lift weights, do extreme sports, or are
      otherwise prone to intense activity for long periods: also those who
      may be having a problem with mild dehydration due to diarrhrea,
      vomiting, or any other thing that reduces body fluids.

      suspect extracellular fluids, especially. Am only conjecting that
      last, however.

      BTW, Knapweed, that bane of Montana, is of the same tribe, has many of
      the same properties. As does Cornflower and burdock One does need to
      remember, I think, that many times a plant taken from where it grows
      well and planted in another area, may do much more than just "well".
      Note, and remember, the ways Mom Earth keeps her life charges under
      control, so we don't have another Spotted Knapweed or Kudzu.

      It is possible to have too much of a good thing! deb

      In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Robert Monie <bobm20001@y...> wrote:
      >.
      >
      > You know where I am leading, guys. Have you had an antioxidant
      chemist take a long, hard look at those thistles lately? It's worth a
      try. Anthing that tough must have some strong medicine inside to keep
      it going.