Answers to some of Leland's questions

  • Robert Monie
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2003
      Hi Leland,

      Great to see that you have found another nearly-natural farm. Paul's "hermitage" in Ojito should remind us of an enduring tradition in both Western and Eastern culture--the hermit living a productive and meditative life in the wilderness. It is amusing that Paul is using land that the Land Bureau was unable to sell. This is the mark of a true farmer, to bring life out of death and abundance out of aridity.

      I wish you could get Paul a computer and let him hook up to us. We would have much to learn from him. He is doing farming in the right place--in the soil (rather than in his head or on a crag someplace where nothing will grow). That clover crop that many (including Fukuoka) have trouble starting is "invasive" for Paul, you say. We should all be so lucky!

      Incidentally, far from being a "font of wisdom," I am an ornery intellectual Cajun gardener
      (the worst kind) on the bayou. I would not believe in little green men if they sat down and had lunch with me (even if they paid for the lunch and turned green from eating nettles on a mountain in Tibet.) I would find some way to show that they were neither green nor men, nor from outer space. So you can imagine what I think of this crystal resonance stuff. (I will believe that light pulsates throughout our bodies when someone can demonstrate that we are made of optical fiber bundles instead of flesh and blood. And if we are, some telecommunications company will patent us)

      As for the probiotics aiding recovery from Crohn's disease, you might have something there. Dr. Iichiroh Ohhira, a microbiologist and, I take it, something of a celebrity in Japan, has written many learned papers on the role of lactic acid and acetic acid in human digestion and is interested in "chemical-free organic gardening." He sells a product line of "OM-X" probiotics and other things (including a topical oil made from perilla, one of my favorite plants). His general dietary advice for good digestion is to eat onions, asparagus, burdock, sweet potatoes, beans, seaweed, miso, yogurt (soy), and mushrooms. No problem there.

      Some websites for Ohhira are http://www.omx.co.jp/developer.html and
      http://omxsban.freeyellow.com/productoverviewOM-x.htm

      If I can find out what he is up to in his farming pursuits, I will report it.

      Best wishes, Leland. Let's get some of these natural farmers, including Paul and George, online!

      Bob Monie