Re: [fukuoka_farming] In Praise of Grains: "the finest diet nutritionally" says Fukuoka

  • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 3, 2003

      > Both Fukuoka and the Weston A. Price Foundation have extremely good things
      to say about grains in the human diet. Writing for the Price Foundation,
      Sally Fallon says "Many healthy societies consume products made from
      grains." "The cultivation of grains made civilization possible and opened
      the door for mankind to live long and comfortable lives.".

      yes but never fukuoka or sally will exclude animals far from it .

      > More on the benefits of grains appears at
      http://www.westonaprice.org/foodfeatures/be_kind.html.

      << Man, on the other hand, has but one stomach and a much shorter intestine
      compared to herbivorous animals. These features of his anatomy allow him to
      pass animal products before they putrefy in the gut but make him less well
      adapted to a diet high in grains-unless, of course, he prepares them
      properly......
      The final indignity to grains is that we treat them as loners, largely
      ignorant of other dietary factors needed for the nutrients they provide.
      Fat-soluble vitamins A and D found in animal fats like butter, lard and
      cream help us absorb calcium, phosphorus, iron, B vitamins and the many
      other vitamins that grains provide. >>

      in this article i read also this , it is missleading to let peoples believe
      that sally fallon and her foundation supporte grain based diet , she just
      say that grains as long as they are traditionally prepared are okay to eat .
      she is not a vegetarian and don't defend the idea ( she just ordered
      pemmican from me recently).
      sally's thing is traditional production and preparation of foods and
      questionning of modern foods .that is as far as she goes in her analysis of
      the causes of humans degeneration ..( she asked me to write an article about
      my pemmican making operation and my farming practices .
      others go farther ( but if we could start there we will be way better off )
      i did my self that 25 years ago becoming a vegetarian, organic grower
      for 12 years when i realised the limitations of this choice , since then i
      went to small amounts of sprouted grains only to not at all for the better.
      jean-claude
    • Sergio Montinola
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 3, 2003
        Dear Robert,

        I appreciate your email to John. I, too am very particular about a healthy diet. I am seventy three this year. I avoid pork and beef.

        My problem is that I continue to be over-weight. I try to avoid carbohydrates. I would like to lose thirty pounds. What kind of food do you suggest I eat?

        You say ";whole grain" properly prepared. How is this ? Will I lose weight by doing this? Your knowledge will be appreciated.

        Thanks,
        Sergio

        Robert Monie <bobm20001@...> wrote:
        Hi John,

        Thank you. I expect someone will point out that grains contain mostly Omega-6 fats and we need Omega-3 (linolenic acid) for both physical amd mental health. But getting Omega-3 isn't difficult. Flax seeds (pretty easy to grow most places) and flax oil are great sources, as are walnuts, purslane, perilla (a vigorous, mint-like plant called "Shiso" in Japanese), and perilla oil. Some wild greens (that chickens generally prefer) from Greece and Crete are also excellent sources of Omega-3. Omega-3 is present in many seaweeds and sea vegetables too (which is where fish get it.) The best diets will contain grains, greens, and legumes, along with some antioxidant-rich fruits such as raspberries and cherries, and supply complete protein as well as adequate amounts of essential fatty acids. Nobody should try to live on an all-grain diet, but whole grains, properly prepared, can easily provide from 50 to 55% of the calories in the most healthful diets known.

        Bob Monie, southeast Louisiana

        John Warner <daddyoat@...> wrote:
        Hello, everyone!

        Congratulations, Bob, for presenting the case for grains so very well. I was a high school health teacher for a number of years and, when considering what's good to eat, my main thesis was eating grains. Without grains, I can hardly imagine human beings having any concept whatsoever of the good, the true or the beautiful. We'd still be hunting the great mammals into extinction.

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT