Hi Deb

  • Jon Wood
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 28, 2003
      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "debi" <debhlv@y...> wrote:
      I garden. I have areas that I allow bunnies and other critters to
      munch on, what I want to harvest for our own use, I fence in with
      short fencing. This obviously is not for any deer problem, I think
      the coyotes keep them far away..........Gloria had given me the idea
      of assuring water for birds and other thirsty critters who like to
      bathe, so I have a couple of areas for
      them.........I have a hard time with slugs...........I have been
      succesful more than once.........I grow, both for use and to
      propogate back to wild, native medicinal.........In the winter, I
      grow an "indoor garden".......... The food my son and I eat through
      the year mostly comes from what I harvest and grow........make
      decisions based on input from all areas.........I just didn't think I
      had much to offer here.
      deb
      **************************
      Everybody has something they know that no one else knows. It may be
      something small or something grand and glorious. So. No matter who
      you are nor where, the thing is sharing ones gains and losses: what
      works in one place under certain weather and climates just might now
      work some place else. Yet there ARE places that it WILL work as well.

      The same with plants and planting. Many of us have years and years
      of on hands experience, yet someone who doesn't have can say
      something that will spark a new light even in an old calloused
      gardeners head and make him/her catch fire enough to go out and
      experiment some on their own.

      I know that organics works. And the principle ways to create a
      living breathing soil makes no difference where in the
      world you are. The recipe is the same. A few
      ingredients may have to be substituted as happens in
      any good recipe, but where you live isn't important if
      it's a viable living soil you hope to create.

      No one should have to apoligize for not knowing that lightning bugs
      eat slug eggs: nor that crickets do. Few books mention things like
      that. Nor why the snake doctor is such a good friend in the garden.
      Nor toads, or terrapins, or snakes, nor spiders, nor lizards, nor
      assassin bugs, nor.......well, the list of garden buddies is endless.

      Many of you till like I used to. There's no need to til. Yet if you
      want to til you should do so until you learn why you don't need to.

      That the soil was uprooted where you garden would be just another
      hurtle to jump in your gardening adventure. You and I both feed
      ourselves with what we can grow or wild harvest.

      There are ways to help Mother Nature along until she can help you.
      So what if there's clay on top while your good dirt is down deeper?
      That doesn't mean you cannot still grow a nice crop of food to feed
      yourself and Caden. All it takes is a LOT of patience, accepting a
      few mistakes, and perseverance. Mainly, perseverance.

      Trial and error mostly, for where can we turn for help most times?

      Like this year. For me, tis the worst garden I've ever had. Ever in
      my over 50 years of organic farming and gardening. Yet, I've enough
      to eat, to dry, to can, to cellar, to freeze, even to craft. With
      seed enough left over for next season if I am frugal.

      And you, can do the same thing and never ever turn your garden
      again. Let that good stuff STAY buried: you can have worms eating
      within a week. Even in that clay soil you have mentioned. Prepare
      the right food, and folks will come to eat: folks don't mind wading
      thru a few briars to get to a picnic: neither do worms and other
      fungi that brings your soil back to life.

      It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out: only a bit of
      meditation, observation, and then action.

      Jon Wood-Organic Homesteader and gardener.