Re: [fukuoka_farming] Potato guild

  • Robert Monie
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 26, 2003
      Hi Mark,

      Two candidates for nitrogen fixers in Florida might be Acacia tortusoa (twised acacia) and Pithecellobium unguis-cati (bread & cheese shrub), both members of the Leguminosae-mimosoideae group. This is a wild guess, but would sea buckthorn also work down there? G.Nelson's (1996) "The Shrubs and Woody Vines of Florida," Pineapple Press, Inc, Sarasota, FL should give you something on the twisted acacia and the bread & cheese shrub. Also go on google.com and look up Pithecellobium unguis-cati.

      For the potato beetle and cutworm you're going to have to be ultra-specific; something probably repels them, but I don't know what.

      Can you tell this group much about about the famous "muck" (descended from decayed grass lands) of Florida and what grows easily in the muck? Does the muck naturally produce some of its own guilds? Have you talked much with Cubas about what is going on in organic/sustainable agriculture in Cuba, or have you seen it for yourself?

      Bob Monie, southeast Louisiana

      Mark Thomas Nickum <nickum@...> wrote:
      Hello all,

      I am now a doctoral student in Florida and will be working with large and
      small scale potato producers during my time here. I would like to design
      a guild system for potatoes which would include nitrogen fixing plants,
      plants to make potatoes distasteful to insects (Colorado potato beetle and
      cutworm can be pests. I was wondering if nasturtium could offer chemicals
      the potatoes could pick up through the soil for their defenses), and
      composits and umbelliferae to provide predatory wasps and other
      beneficials. The examples I have given are just examples to get ideas
      flowing.

      What ideas do you all have that could be put into production trials? If
      you have any citations to go along, that would be helpful as well.

      Thanks,

      -Mark

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT