What can we do ?

  • Catherine Dionisi
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 24, 2003
      What can we, or should we do, Jean Claude, in front of such destructions
      ?
      Just like you, my heart is constantly broken by such things.

      Two years ago, I bought, with my husband, a 10 acres piece of land in
      the South West of France.
      My main concern then was to have something big enough so that we would
      never be surrounded by such horrors, at least far enough from the
      house...This meant a private access track...not easy to find.
      My concern at the moment is that the neighbour farmers (very nice people
      though) want to help by for instance cutting the blackberry bushes "so
      that we can have a neat place"...And at the same time, they cut the
      grass or have it eaten by their cows, so that my husband is happy not to
      see a "jungle for savages"...

      What would you do on 5 hectares with only a few scattered trees ? I
      think I should draw something with hedges and let these places,
      surrounded by wire nettings, grow, ... I don't know yet as we are not
      living there at the moment.

      Catherine

      "i am feeling hurt also that my semi hunting gathering life style is
      becoming
      more and more difficult , abandonned filberts and fruits that i have
      been
      harvesting for years are being cut every year because of owners who want
      do something nice for their land . they don't care they rely on
      supermarket
      foods anyway ..
      the worst of my wounds come from a new friend who just happens to buy
      the
      property that i worked and planted coming from california with the best
      of
      intentions attracted to organic farming and fukuoka . he got excited
      when he
      met me and i presented to him his land showing him the plants . he
      wanted to
      work with me to makes his land profitable for the market and i learned
      the
      last winter that he cut the most denselly productive part of the land
      constitued of an edge of green gage plums, italian plums and an old
      orchard
      of apples , pears and cherries .
      this agremented with blackberries , currants .
      i could never harvest it all and dry them all so abondant it was
      ,racoon
      crows , birds deer were all festing on that aera and there was still
      enough to feed slugs and other friend ( stephen that is the way to deal
      with
      the deer problem in the long run, on top of becoming food themselves )
      and
      he cut them all to put a pig fed with outside feeds. Don't ask me to be
      tolerant of ignorance and best intentions ,it might be the main root of
      so
      much harm done in the world .
      sorry Gloria you touch a cord here .
      jean-claude"