Re: [fukuoka_farming] no-till

  • GLORIA BAIKAUSKAS
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 2001
      I forwarded this on to two relatives I am trying to convince to adopt this way of gardening/farming. Great material! Thanks.

      And Happy New Year to ALL!!!!

      Gloria
      Texas
      USA

    • flylo@txcyber.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2002
        I'm interested in this method also. However, my 'garden plot' is
        actually a small section in a neglected 18 acre field. I realized that
        by tilling, we would be bringing up 10+ years of weed seeds plus
        the grass that had established over the years. How do you go no-
        till with all this?
        I understand the method and means after plants have been
        established in the soil (snipping off weeds at the base, allowing
        their roots to feed and brace the soil), feeding the garden through a
        cover of mulch, etc. But where is the starting point? Just plant
        through the growing grass and weeds and figure the soil is healthy
        enough to support all? Mowing it all down to ground level and
        mulching over the resulting areas?
        I wouldn't mind doing some field tests using both tilling and no till
        experimental plots, but need a definite 'how to' starting point.
        Martha, also in Texas
      • burt levy
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2002
          --One way to get rid of weeds and seeds on a
          relatively small area, is to cover the area with
          thick, clear plastic sheeting. When the temperature
          gets into the 80s, (which I believe probably occurs in
          Texas in early March) you can put down the plastic and
          seal the edges with dirt.The sun goes through the
          plastic and heats up the soil. The plastic holds the
          heat in. It then builds up in the soil and heats up
          the soil for a couple of feet. The soil heats up well
          over 100 degrees. This kills plants, roots, seeds,
          microbes etc. Of course the soil is sterilized. But
          then you can introduce your cover crop and other
          desired plants which will renourish the soil. You will
          then have a head start on the weeds. Keep the plastic
          on for 3 weeks, pull off then plant. This probably
          won't work in cooler climates, but should work in
          Texas ,Calif. etc.flylo@... wrote:
          > I'm interested in this method also. However, my
          > 'garden plot' is
          > actually a small section in a neglected 18 acre
          > field. I realized that
          > by tilling, we would be bringing up 10+ years of
          > weed seeds plus
          > the grass that had established over the years. How
          > do you go no-
          > till with all this?
          > I understand the method and means after plants have
          > been
          > established in the soil (snipping off weeds at the
          > base, allowing
          > their roots to feed and brace the soil), feeding the
          > garden through a
          > cover of mulch, etc. But where is the starting
          > point? Just plant
          > through the growing grass and weeds and figure the
          > soil is healthy
          > enough to support all? Mowing it all down to ground
          > level and
          > mulching over the resulting areas?
          > I wouldn't mind doing some field tests using both
          > tilling and no till
          > experimental plots, but need a definite 'how to'
          > starting point.
          > Martha, also in Texas

          http://greetings.yahoo.com
        • GLORIA BAIKAUSKAS
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 1, 2002
            Spreading corn gluten meal in February will prevent any seeds from germinating weeds that are annuals. Of course new seeds won't grow there for a while either, but it will be a while before you plant outdoors anyway. It is a great fertilizer, too.
            Gloria

          • ban
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 4, 2002
              martha
              It depends how small is your gardened area.
              I started marking 5 feet wide beds for vegetables.
              did the sowing or transplanting among the scrub and as the plants grew,
              I cut the scrub gradually back by hand. It was a very smooth
              transition, made possible because I started small.
              francisco

              Remitente: flylo@... But where is the starting point? Just
              plant
              > through the growing grass and weeds and figure the soil is healthy
              > enough to support all? Mowing it all down to ground level and
              > mulching over the resulting areas?
            • Robert Waldrop
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 4, 2002
                We are converting our lawn to forest garden by laying out plots
                outlined with firewood. We then put down grass clippings and leaves,
                then several layers of newspaper, then some more grass clippings and
                leaves and then dirt on top. This is working very well for us.

                Robert Waldrop, Oklahoma City
                http://www.bettertimesinfo.org