RE: [fukuoka_farming] Defense of mathematics for this particular situation

  • jamie
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 6, 2003
      Hello Aaron, yes, more effort to create 'human-centred' conditions will
      create more work to maintain those conditions. But less effort to create
      'human-centred' conditions will require less work. Observation of the
      environment and the infinite connections of climate, geography, geology
      flora and fauna will lead to less work.

      Rather do-nothing, it takes less initial effort and less ongoing effort.
      Maintain the natural system you find (by growing the right plants in the
      right place at the right time) and growing crops takes no effort at all.

      Unfortunately, most of us will find that there is no market for the plants
      that grow without some manipulation of the system - do we educate our
      palates, educate the palates of the wider population or return to the fields
      and observe some more to learn how to fit 'market' plants into the natural
      cycle?

      All farming/gardening is manipulation, it is not only the amount of effort
      we put in but the direction of that effort - some things resist the cycle of
      our land and some things are absorbed without resistance.

      All we can do is observe, experiment and then observe some more - but always
      begin by observing. Never impose a rigid system and this is my worry with
      this talk of linear or complex equations - we will miss the essential
      quiddity of time and place and make more work for ourselves by doing so.

      Jamie
      Souscayrous