Defense of mathematics for this particular situation

  • AaronBrachfeld@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 5, 2003
      I agree that the complexity of the natural world is too great to be defined mathematically, but what I am trying to define is human-made: as the amount of work a human puts into their agroecosystem increases, the more work is required to maintain those improvements. It's like building a retaining wall. If no wall was built, than no maintanence is needed and the situation is perfectly sustainable. But if a wall is built, that amount of work must be maintained over time. These things can be calculated just as easily as the balance in your checking account.

      --Aaron
    • jamie
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 6, 2003
        Hello Aaron, yes, more effort to create 'human-centred' conditions will
        create more work to maintain those conditions. But less effort to create
        'human-centred' conditions will require less work. Observation of the
        environment and the infinite connections of climate, geography, geology
        flora and fauna will lead to less work.

        Rather do-nothing, it takes less initial effort and less ongoing effort.
        Maintain the natural system you find (by growing the right plants in the
        right place at the right time) and growing crops takes no effort at all.

        Unfortunately, most of us will find that there is no market for the plants
        that grow without some manipulation of the system - do we educate our
        palates, educate the palates of the wider population or return to the fields
        and observe some more to learn how to fit 'market' plants into the natural
        cycle?

        All farming/gardening is manipulation, it is not only the amount of effort
        we put in but the direction of that effort - some things resist the cycle of
        our land and some things are absorbed without resistance.

        All we can do is observe, experiment and then observe some more - but always
        begin by observing. Never impose a rigid system and this is my worry with
        this talk of linear or complex equations - we will miss the essential
        quiddity of time and place and make more work for ourselves by doing so.

        Jamie
        Souscayrous