Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Right on Mike!

  • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 5 12:54 AM
      . I don't know about my
      > blackberries, though. They don't seem particularly happy with the
      > weeds. >

      In an established blacberry patch in nature ,there is not one weed among
      them ,they makes sure to shade the aera fully . and they know how to take
      over grassy aeras.
      somebody wanted a solution for couch grass here we have one and very
      productive by the way .

      a black berry patch is a wonderfull start for a vegetable garden ,
      beautifull earth free of weeds , you still have to work on cutting them back
      as they resprout.
      jean-claude
    • EponaLady
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 5 10:46 PM
        Gloria,

        Tell me more about the strawberries in the weeds. I just pulled some
        weeds from around my strawberries today. I noticed the stems were
        getting taller and the plants seem sturdier than the ones I have
        growing in the non-weedy place. I wasn't sure if it was the
        difference in the varieties. I have Sequoia growing by themselves,
        Quintana in the new bed amongst the weeds, and a native growing in
        the dark under the redbud.

        Glad to hear about the peppers, too. I was just about to try
        planting some bell peppers in the shade of the hackberries. The
        pomegranate seems to like it there.

        Heather

        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Gloria C. Baikauskas"
        <gcb49@f...> wrote:
        > Letting my strawberries stay almost buried in the weeds that came
        up
        > around them was the best thing I have ever done for them. Mike and
        > have talked about this before......that weeds seem to help things
        > like fruits....and probably veggies, too. I don't know about my
        > blackberries, though. They don't seem particularly happy with the
        > weeds. Not sure why. My two remaining grapes are barely visible
        in
        > the weeds. My worst enemy is well-meaning friends and family who
        > come over and decide they will weed for me. It is difficult to get
        > people to understand neat and tidy is not always the best way.
        >
        > I have been experimenting both with leaving the weeds, and with
        > pulling weeds in successive time periods to build a thatch in areas
        > already in a bed situation. I suspect that leaving the weeds is
        the
        > best way. It looks rough, but then I tell everyone it looks like
        no
        > gardener lives here anyway.
        >
        > Robert, I have been growing tomatoes on the edge of shade for years
        > now with great success. Also peppers seem to not mind the shade.
        > The trick is to have some sun hit them during the day by choosing
        > where at the edge of the tree (still in mostly shade). I do this
        by
        > watching the path of the sun. If you can hit the right spot on the
        > edge of the shade they will do fine. I don't know if that will
        work
        > in a cooler climate than we live (Texas and Louisiana). Of course
        > am using single trees in this endeavor. There were no trees here
        > when we moved in seven years ago. With the drought years I have
        had
        > to limit the number of trees I plant in a year. The shade helps to
        > prevent cracking that occurs in tomatoes in the heat of our
        climate,
        > as well as continues pollination and flowering necessary for
        > continued production which ordinarily stops here when the nights
        are
        > over 85 degrees F.
        >
        > Gloria
      • Gloria C. Baikauskas
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 6 11:35 AM
          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "EponaLady" <eponalady@y...>
          wrote:
          > Gloria,
          >
          > Tell me more about the strawberries in the weeds. I have Sequoia
          growing by themselves,
          > Quintana in the new bed amongst the weeds, and a native growing in
          > the dark under the redbud.
          > Heather

          Heather, I am growing the very same varieties of strawberries as you
          are. The strawberries before I let them grow in the weeds were small
          and didn't ever seem to grow.......They certainly never put out any
          baby plants. These with the weeds are as you said....the stems are
          strong with much larger leaves. The fruits are larger, too, and
          probably sweeter. Can't say in comparison now because I let them all
          go to the weeds this year. This bed is what I set up to be my puzzle
          garden in which I used stepping stones to act as the lines in a
          jigsaw puzzle planting on both sides of the broken lines (stepping
          stones) the same plants so that it would truly look like jigsaw
          puzzle pieces. I like to use strawberries as edge plants in my beds
          for a few reasons, not the least of which is that it provides a
          healthy snack for my grandson now, and my son when he was growing
          up. The leaves of the strawberries add iron to the soil, too.

          These strawberries have been in this set of beds for two complete
          years, this season being their third there.

          I am glad to see someone else sharing this grand experience. It
          makes me feel so much better to know I am not chasing rainbows with
          this effort. I still have not purchased the book....and I am
          forgetting the name here right now......that tells you what the soil
          is lacking.....or getting...from the weeds growing in it. It is next
          on my list at Amazon.com, though.....on my wish list.
          Gloria