Re: [fukuoka_farming] making the change

  • John Frederick
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2003
      Hi Jamie,

      Thanks for bringing back the focus.

      Do you know of anyone with direct experience of the Fukuoka-Bonfils method of growing winter wheat? I am starting trials and want to speak to those who've done it first hand, and also find sources for older pure winter wheat varieties.

      Best wishes,

      John

    • jamie
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 3, 2003
        Hello Everyone, there has been a tremendous amount written recently (not
        least by me) and yet I haven't learnt anything to help me in my approach or
        practice to natural farming (NF). Considering the reason for this group, I
        think we might have strayed from its fundamental remit.

        I also notice that I can no longer access the www.fukuokafarmingol.net
        website and have emailed Larry, but have yet to receive a reply - does
        anyone know if Larry is still involved or have his interests taken him
        elsewhere?

        To return to an area of especial interest to me, I'd like to ask those using
        Emilia's raised bed Synergistic techniques, especially those pursuing a
        professional/semi-professional course, to elaborate a little on their
        techniques, because I have always thought that for SynAg, NF to be
        persuasive it will need to prove itself in a commercial environment. I'm not
        unaware that commercial ventures require long hours, but would really
        appreciate an insight into the setting up and practice of such a business.
        John Warner has spoken of his application of Emilia's work (following Mark
        Cain in Arkansas) and it would be good to hear from Mark too as he is, as
        far as I know, the longest practicing SynAg exponent.

        If Emilia's SynAg techniques do not immediately chime with your ideas of
        Fukuoka's NF then I would refer you to pp 140-42 and pp 217-8 of Natural
        Way, which are referred to by Larry and me in earlier posts to this group
        (you can search the archive at
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fukuoka_farming/ scroll to the bottom of the
        page).

        If I seem a little churlish it is only because I feel we are wasting the
        opportunity this forum offers, to pass on our experiences so that NF
        practices can be the more quickly disseminated. I came across these
        paragraphs recently in some of Emilia's writing that I'd like to share with
        you as it expresses my feelings perfectly:

        "In synergistic agriculture (syn.ag) we create the conditions in soil that
        soil needs to maintain its own healthy life, and fertility. We imitate the
        way soil feeds itself, keeps itself alive... by doing this, we stop totally
        the way traditional agriculture as well as the "modern" one does to obtain
        yields.

        Changing habits is never easy and if the habit to change is constantly
        reinforced by tradition, by extension agents, agronomical schools...by the
        whole of culture, it becomes even harder. It takes a deep and strong
        conviction for the need to change, so as to go against the current and
        become a pioneer for an agriculture of the future, when soil, petrol and
        fertilizers won't be as abundant as today. Animal manures and compost are
        hard to have in many places of the world, thus, to know how to produce food
        using the self-fertility of the soil can make all the difference between
        life and death.

        We need to start now practicing this new agriculture in small experimental
        plots, so as to be in the position to advise farmers in all types of
        climatic and soil conditions how to succeed their crops in a genuinely
        sustainable way. This ongoing research is just beginning in various places
        in the world. We are the members for the critical mass group necessary for
        the quantum leap...that could help humanity meet the coming challenge of
        feeding an exponentially demographic explosion, while losing soils
        exponentially as well."

        'We are the members for the critical mass...' and we should not waste our
        opportunity to speak with like-minded people to pass on this knowledge.

        Jamie
        Souscayrous
      • jamie
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 3, 2003
          Hello John, I replied to a personal email sent asking the same question the
          other day and had not replied to your earlier post to the group because I
          thought two emails in the same week wanting the same information would have
          to be related.

          However, if you're separate individuals/groups looking to experiment,
          perhaps I can connect you? But here's the reply I sent:

          "I'm also interested in Marc Bonfils methods but have not yet experimented
          with them myself. Unfortunately I heard from Emilia that Marc had burnt all
          his research material some years ago so there isn't any new material to add
          to what is available on the internet.

          However, I do recall Emilia mentioning a farm in France as a contact - you
          could search the Fukuoka_Farming archive for the information. There is also
          Emilia's friend Kali, who has her library and could ask her if she's
          uncovered any more information that might add to our knowledge if you like.

          Perhaps if you could give me some more details of what you plan (and what
          you already know) I could be more specific in my request."

          HTH

          Jamie
          Souscayrous

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 4, 2003
            I Jamie and all of you

            >> I also notice that I can no longer access the www.fukuokafarmingol.net
            website and have emailed Larry, but have yet to receive a reply - does
            anyone know if Larry is still involved or have his interests taken him
            elsewhere?

            - I can access to the web site you refer to.
            - Larry might be overdoing with something else and may be his garden first
            <g>
            I e-mailed him on the 20th of May have no answer, yet. (nothing urgent)

            Best wishes
            Beatrice

            Udim, Israel
          • jamie
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 4, 2003
              Hello Beatrice, thanks for the response - just to be clear, I'm not saying I
              don't get a website when I type in www.fukuokafarmingol.net, but that I get
              www.larryhaftl.com which is Larry's freelance journalism pitch and not the
              Fukuoka pages I know Larry spent so much time producing.

              I emailed Larry a couple of days ago about this but no response yet. I
              suspect there's some glitch in the website server/ISP, but if anyone's heard
              from larry or is in touch with him, could they let him know.

              Thanks

              Jamie
              Souscayrous