Fukuoka and the martial arts (esp sumo wrestling)

  • Robert Monie
    Message 1 of 1 , May 28, 2003
      Hi Everybody,

      Tim wrote "I get the feeling Fukuoka would loathe the comparison, but his approach to agriculture is very much like one of the martial art approaches to self defense."

      Fukuoka is not necessarily averse to the martial arts or self-defense. In
      Fukuoka_farming archive message # 1740 (Jan 8, 2003), Kristi reports that "when I was in India [last October at the V.Shiva school], Fukuoka asked me to go to St.Louis and sumo wrestle Monsanto and give them the open letter we wrote as a class."

      A growing orchard or forest would eventually be big enough to sumo wrestle the quack grass away. A growing network of independent farmers and consumers worldwide might eventually be big enough to sumo wrestle Mosanto away. I don't think Fukuoka would mind the comparison.

      Bob Monie, southeast Louisiana