Valuing quantity over quality

  • Lance Bermudez
    Message 1 of 1 , May 27, 2003
      Yes Jean, I agree with much of what you say. I only like to simplify things a little more, to make them easier for a general audience to grasp.
      I feel you are correct when you say that food production nowadays in general is based on quantity, not quality. Furthermore, I believe that isn't only true in food production. A large part of the world is dominated by a culture that worships quantity (production, profits, gain) instead of quality (of life, of nature).

      A man can be rich with very little, but we live in a society where people need more. Thousands of dollars, then millions, then billions, until they have stripped everything bare to feed their ego. It is all pointless. Many of us turn our eyes and our mind away from this stripping (raping) of all things, but some of us remembers when things were different. I am very young (perhaps not as young as I lead myself to believe), but there are other on this list who remember when things were different. I believe it was Tim Peters that told us in one of his posts about how the rivers where he lives used to run thick with salmon and steelhead trout. And now they are gone. Just one small example from millions.

      Sometimes, it gets me so sad, I could cry. What is our culture doing to the world.......