Re: Accessing the Revised "One Straw Revolution" book

  • animaphile
    Message 1 of 3 , May 22, 2003
      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Peters" <psr@p...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      > I would like to read this to if you find it. ...you don't know the
      ISBN do you? if we had that it would simplify finding a copy here
      > Tim

      Thanks but I don't have the ISBN - it may not have an ISBN if Fukuoka
      published it himself! - perhaps he did this (did i read this
      somewhere?) because the interpretation involved in translating idioms
      is not so well achieved by the original One Straw Revolution. For
      example MU or MUDA or MUJOU are very rich concepts in Japanese, they
      have connections though deep history, many parts of social live and
      day to day life at that. i fell in love with a Japanese women and
      nearly married & moved there for the rest of my life (the plan) from
      Australia some years ago and i'm an ecologist so i persued these
      cultural concepts and idioms to love and understand my prospective
      wife. Do-nothing, No-action are not the best ways i've heard of to
      translate these japanese idiom expressions, a paragraph would be
      better, for example see David Suzuki and Keibo Oiwa 's book "The
      Japan we never Knew" and discussion of MUDA in Natural Capitalism
      book chapter 7. "Muda, Service, and Flow"
      ( http://www.natcap.org/sitepages/pid20.php ).
      I will keep you's in suspense a little bit before i write a non-reply
      email with some word for word translations into English that are in
      my opinion better than "Do-nothing" and "No-Action" for people who
      grew up in english-speaking or western european societies. What i
      mean is that to understand two or more societies really well it is
      necessary to "grow up" in both or each of these societies some time
      in your life if not simultaneously - after i'd grow up in Australia i
      had very deep and good teachers for bringing me up as a new found
      little bit Japanese person - my girlfriend, her family - particularly
      her buddhist father, my friend an Australian 35 year husband of a
      Japanese woman in Australia and extended family with granchildren,
      etc. With interpretation and cultural richness of both societies
      added Fukuoka's english translation books are very rich in meaning -
      i've read them all with great delight and i eagerly await reading One
      Straw Revolution that was carefully translated and scrutinised by
      Fukuoka himself ***after*** his worldwide travels and personal
      experiences in the 'West'. Cheers