Re: Place in Nature

  • Jared Gellert
    Message 1 of 2 , May 5, 2003
      Dear Folks:

      Jaime wrote some fabulous words.
      > It is indeed very perplexing. I'm not sure that I agree with Michiyo that
      > '...human activity is only an expression of the natural world': I believe
      > that human action (whether farming or writing) always reduces
      > options/possibilities, always already narrows the 'world'. But I honestly
      > don't know what the counter to this belief is. But I think it is high time I
      > stopped writing and again 'listen'.

      It is indeed perplexing and human action always reduces
      options/possibilities. And we have no choice but to act.

      I always have thought that the counter to this belief is the dream of
      unmediated action--the Zen Master's answer to a Koan, Fukuoka's pruning of
      his trees into their natural shapes, Chuang Tzu's butcher carving meat
      without ever dulling his knife. These moments are rare indeed for most of
      us. And we attain them only through the contradictory actions of striving
      for them and being open and receptive.

      This, to me, is the spiritual path of farming.

      Jared Gellert
    • Tim Peters
      Message 2 of 2 , May 6, 2003
        Jared,

        What Michiyo says is true. My observations of nature within and without seem
        to agree with it.

        Jaime's words are fabulously observing and narrow-minded,all in one one
        moment and statement... most certainly anti-human and ... well that is good
        enough for starters. Here's why I say this. ANY CHOICE AND ACTION, ANY
        ACTION AND REACTION ALWAYS REDUCES OR ELIMINATES THINGS THAT UNTIL THEN
        REMAINED OPTIONS/POSSIBILITIES. Think about it, I have been forced to
        thousands and thousands of times. One gopher taste testing in my turnip
        breeding makes his choices like 99.99% of humanity, and 100% of gophers,
        "Wow! This IS a fabulous set of turnips!..." munch munch munch. I come
        along and say, "Heh! Those were for seed! I was trying to increase those
        extra good ones so more of creation could enjoy it!" well, that was to much
        for his mind to comprehend, (most people seem to have about the same
        comprehension level). I threaten his existence if he continues and doesn't
        go eat the wild ones instead. He gets the point (kind of) and flees, but he
        doesn't eat the wild ones, or the other 98% of my breeding patch, he sneaks
        back and finishes the best off ... in less than 1 week years of effort is
        turned into history by one__ gopher his choices and his actions (etc.).
        .... This gopher only illustrates my point, ALL CHOICE and ACTION affects
        the future. Yesterdays options and possibilities are not the ones we have
        today. Life in this world is one of constant change. We have been granted
        the power to greatly affect the changes, search your heart, what changes do
        you want to see? ...are they right to want? ... are they best ?really? ...be
        careful to not fight nature's God. ....striving for... receptive, open to.
        both are directionally the same (oneness), yes? ...isn't it like 'love
        attracts love ' ? ....I'll rest ...