Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Howie's question...Food not lawns

  • Robert Monie
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 30, 2003
      Hi Jean-Claude, The soluble phosphorus should be released mostly as the buckwheat or Ththonia decompose and for some time after. The same might be true for other phosphorus accumulators such as lemon balm, marigold, and clover. See http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Jungle/6700/guilds.html for a list of mineral accumulators useful in cover-cropping. See also the Kansas Rural Center for Sustainable Agriculture (Management Guide, August 1998) article on buckwheat at http://www.kansasruralcenter.org/publications/buckwheat.pdf They report that "buckwheat is known as a 'phosphorus pump' because it is asumed that the roots solubilize phosphorus from precipates in the soil profile and subsoil. The following characteristics make it outstanding for its phosphorus efficiency: 1) a finely-divided root system with a high ratio of root surfaces to root or shoot length; 2) a high storage capacity for inorganic phosphorus; 3) an increased release of protons and solubilizing substances by phosphous-deficient plants; 4) a favorible ratio of phosphorus uptake to root mass growth...; 5) a high activity of acid phosphatase in the rhizoshpere and the capability to use phosphrous from organic sources."

      Bob Monie Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry <instinct@...> wrote:
      <benefit from interplanting with buckwheat, Tithonia sunflowers, and other
      crops that return soluble phosphorus to <the soil.

      while they are growing or when they decompose ?
      jean-claude

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • Michiyo Shibuya
      Message 2 of 13 , May 2, 2003
        I have obtained a list of self-proclaimed natural farms within Japan that
        takes interns or students.
        It lists about 30 locations in various regions of Japan, and most of them
        are not Fukuoka style.
        The list is all in Japanese and I am sure only a few members in this mailing
        list
        are interested, but I would like to share the information with whoever needs
        it.
        It requires a system that supports Japanese language to read the list,
        so please contact me directly if anyone wants it.

        Michiyo
      • Robert Monie

          Message 4 of 13 , May 3, 2003
            I agree with Bob... I think it would be very useful to begin a list of
            all the natural farms world-wide. As for the Japanese list - I might
            never go to Japan myself, but I think that a lot of other people would
            be able to benefit from a list of Japanese farms in English. I was
            just imagining a non-Japanese person travelling around Japan (with no
            knowledge of the local language) and finding out about Fukuoka, more
            or less by chance... I was imagining this person not having much more
            time in Japan but wanting to find out more - if a list of
            (self-proclaimed) farms existed on fukuokafarmingol.net, well then
            maybe a quick search on the internet would give a handful of places to
            visit. If there were no list posted, maybe this person would still be
            able to find the addresses by joining this mailing list or in other
            ways .... but all that would maybe take a few months, and by that time
            our hero would be back home, thousands of miles away from Japan.

            Something else: I think it's very important to get the farmers'
            permission first, before posting their addresses on the site. There
            could well be a few of them who prefer the stillness of the plants to
            the chaos and noise of groups of visiting city-kids...

            Pavle
          • Dominique Guillet
            Message 5 of 13 , May 8, 2003
              For the French speaking people, free workshops on seed production :

              Nous proposons en France des séminaires gratuits sur le thème de la
              production de semences:
              à Forcalquier (les 30, 31 mai et 1er juin),
              à Douardenez (les 18-19-20 juillet),
              dans les Corbières (les 16 et 17 août),
              près de La Rochelle (du 18 au 25 août).

              Chers Amis,

              Voici la présentation de notre campagne Semences sans Frontières. Nous la
              souhaitons un bel exemple de solidarité.

              Pouvons-nous compter sur votre organisation en tant que partenaire relais de
              cette campagne?

              Merci de me tenir informé. Nos partenaires et partenaires relais seront
              listés sur une page de notre site avec un lien vers leur propre site.

              Avec tous nos voeux de résistance fertile.

              Dominique Guillet

              Association Kokopelli

              http://www.kokopelli.asso.fr

            • Catherine Dionisi
              Message 6 of 13 , May 8, 2003
                Qu'entends-tu exactement par "partenaire relai" ?
                Catherine

                For the French speaking people, free workshops on seed production :

                Nous proposons en France des s�minaires gratuits sur le th�me de la
                production de semences:
                � Forcalquier (les 30, 31 mai et 1er juin),
                � Douardenez (les 18-19-20 juillet),
                dans les Corbi�res (les 16 et 17 ao�t),
                pr�s de La Rochelle (du 18 au 25 ao�t).

                Chers Amis,

                Voici la pr�sentation de notre campagne Semences sans Fronti�res. Nous
                la
                souhaitons un bel exemple de solidarit�.

                Pouvons-nous compter sur votre organisation en tant que partenaire
                relais de
                cette campagne?

                Merci de me tenir inform�. Nos partenaires et partenaires relais seront
                list�s sur une page de notre site avec un lien vers leur propre site.

                Avec tous nos voeux de r�sistance fertile.

                Dominique Guillet

                Association Kokopelli

                http://www.kokopelli.asso.fr

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                041947:HM/A=1564416/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60164797&pa
                rtid=3170658>

                <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egrou
                pmail/S=:HM/A=1564416/rand=402219811>

                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              • Connie Kuramoto
                Message 7 of 13 , May 16, 2003
                  Could I have this list? I teach Horticulture at Malaspina College in Nanaimo BC. We do an exchange with Tamagawa University students and
                  I woudl love to visit some farms when I am in Japan with students.
                  Connie Kuramoto