RE: [fukuoka_farming] the tiller in me is the tiller in you

  • jamie
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 29, 2003
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Treesa Rogerson [mailto:treemail@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 3:31 PM
      To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [fukuoka_farming] the tiller in me is the tiller in you

      this is s fascinating discussion group

      but I am bored to tears and deleting deleting

      when I read all this philosophical rototilling.

      I am going outside to play, to do nothing, and to
      watch things grow.

      Treesa

      REPLY:

      Hello Treesa, don't you think (feel) this is a cheap shot, written more for
      effect than substance? In an email group dedicated to the discussion of
      Masanobu Fukuoka and his Natural Farming, thought, feeling, philosophy and
      spirituality are all 'On Topic' as Fukuoka eloquently expressed in his
      written work.

      Beneath is a quote from "One-Straw Revolution" and like all quotes could
      obviously be taken out of context and used (abused) for my own ends,
      however, to judge the accuracy of my interpretation I would far rather you
      read the entire book (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fukuoka_farming/files/)
      than go by this single quote alone:

      "In trying to gain a clear understanding of what it is that fills him with
      wonder, what it is that astonishes him, he has two possible paths. The first
      is to look deeply into himself, at him who asks the question, "What is
      nature?”"
      (One-Straw p64 of online copy)

      My post of yesterday was intended to bring Fukuoka into the debate of 'Our
      place in nature' as it is a question he himself specifically addressed
      above, I wrote:

      "This discussion of 'our place in nature' is revealing of the bind
      occidental mankind is in (including those geographically oriental but
      spiritually occidental).

      Perhaps I can best display this bind by asking a question: Who is asking
      the question about our place in nature? And, further: What validity does
      any answer have when the questioner and respondant are the same?

      To broaden the arena of this questioning further, given the
      Fukuokan/Buddhist/Existential realisation that humanity knows nothing, how
      can we ever feel that any answer to this question is meaningful?"

      My point would be: Why does Fukuoka bother to philosophise? I have always
      considered the reason to be because he believed that NF was not about
      agriculture so much as the perfection of human being. There are many
      rule-based, entirely practical forms of farming, I choose Fukuoka because he
      does not farm by rote but by observation...he challenges and denigrates
      trite answers!

      Jamie
      Souscayrous...PS Thanks Pavle, it's good to know I'm not alone.