on TV

  • Michiyo Shibuya
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 28, 2003
      Hello,
      Mr. Fukuoka will be on TV on May 18th from 11:00-11:30 p.m.on TV Asahi
      (channel 10) in the programme called "Sutekina Uchusen Chikyugo".

      This is their website and the thirty second preview will be available from
      the May 14th.
      http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/earth/

      This is a series that focus on "keepers of the earth",
      and this time, I believe, it is a documentary of Fukuoka's activity in
      Greece.
      I will announce again when you can see the preview.

      I have written here about a month ago that I would attempt to make a
      connection between
      this Fukuoka-farming group and Mr. Fukuoka and Ms. Honma.
      I wrote to Ms. Honma right away with the print out of the homepage
      and later talked on the phone, so at least at this point they are aware of
      this group,
      I will let you know when we can finally set up something.

      I am being behind with the translation of this website. I would like to do
      it but
      if anyone is interested in doing it I appreciate it, too.

      Michiyo
    • Robert Monie
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 28, 2003
        Hi Everybody, Tim--you're an experienced plant breeder and farmer with a successful seed business. Can you tell us a little about your own experiments moving from organic-compost farming into the natural farming advocated by Fukuoka? Do you feel that Fukuoka's methods work best for rice and citrus farms like the one he had, or do can they be modified for vegetables and other plants? Do you see his approach as compatable with the kind of plant breeding you do and the seed business you have or are their other approaches that work better for you? Have you tried seedballs, and do you think they are best for landscape reclamation or promising for vegetables, grains, and other staple human food plants as well? Bob Monie--watching six Roma plants grow among the buckwheat, cowpeas, wild onions, and lemon grass in a quasi-Fukuoka "jungle."
        Tim Peters <psr@...> wrote:...hmmm... I think Sergio is right, this site and discussion group is best
        left to a review of what Fukuoda presented, and our experience most directly
        with that . I am definitely one for all this discussion, but we will use up
        the next 2000 years discussing that, end up more polarized, and far away
        from Fukuoda, his life, his experiences and making the wisdom that he
        gathered practical to our own life.

        The question below is a good one assuming it is honest, and it would be
        begging an answer if it were mine. ...perhaps when a question like that
        comes up we could quote Fukuoda, or if that galls us, we could answer the
        person in private at their private email address shown ? what does the
        group or moderator think.

        Tim Peters

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 28, 2003
          Hi Michiyo, As always, we are grateful to you for trying to bring us together with Fukuoka and Honma. As we Americans say, "Keep up the good work, Michiyo!" Bob Monie--Southeast Louisiana (And, yes, the kudzu mulch does seem to improve the tomato plants; maybe that's what kudzu is "for"). PS Do you plan to videotape Fukuoka's appearance?

          Michiyo Shibuya <michiyos@...> wrote:Hello,
[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Tim Peters
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 29, 2003
            Hi Robert,
            ...there have been endless experiments... One of the things that I have
            noted in re. to Fukuoka is this, he observed nature with the 'ear' so to
            speak and the heart of a great conductor conducting a symphony. ....quite
            frankly I think it takes more skill to farm successfully the way he does
            than by more traditional methods. Timing of activities is very important to
            success, that is my experience. You can not afford to be sloppy about your
            timing or your methods, but whether Fukuoka's methods work best for rice and
            citrus, or rye and apples depends on many many factors. Plant varieties are
            like job applicants, some are sure doom - total misfits for the particular
            scenario. Choose wisely. Know what you are asking a plant to do.

            Nature to, the enviroment we face, is nearly as varied as the people we are.

            Some are frigid, begrudging of nutients, don't give one much time to grow,
            and offer a bewildering array of devourers if your growing does succeed in
            any degree.

            On the other extreme there are those that are hot, nutrient rich to the
            point of being lethal, so dry that even though you could grow all year the
            lack of water forbids it, ...

            There is like I said at first, a seemingly endless stream of variables and
            complexes of them. Quite frankly, you can not take Fukuoka's rice and
            citrus etc. natural farming wisdom bring it to Southern Oregon, and make it
            work. What is wisdom there where he works is foolishness here. Both the
            crops and the methods, simply because of what nature puts you up against.
            ...sometimes nature offers you no recourse but brutality. ...sometimes
            nature would rather kill you than feed you. ...and it is left with you to
            decide what gives. What I see Fukuoka as doing, is providing us with
            evidence that nature can be worked with in a gentler manner to provide us
            with our needs. We should try to understand the place where we find
            ourselves growing, much like we should try to understand each other.

            I breed using many ag cultivation methods. I have tried seed balls, as well
            as just plain seed (more natural) and I do it with hundreds of lbs of seed
            every year, mainly in disrupted enviroments (natural and human caused).
            Breeding edible plants Fukuokian style or (even more natural like) is,for
            the plants out here, almost as brutal as a Nazi death camp. GET THIS
            STRAIGHT. OUT IN NATURE, IT IS NOT SURVIVAL OF THE SWEETEST, BEST FOR YOUR
            DIGESTIVE TRACT, MOST PLEASANT TO YOUR TONGUE, etc. Out in a natural
            enviroment it is survival of the meanest, nastiest, ugliest, toughest, and
            in that sense, the fittest. Bon appetit ! ...but give me something better
            please. ...after over 30 years of natural breeding I can assure you that
            nature is not the breeder you want in charge of your breeding projects.
            Parsnip strains will go from sweet and tender, to, many strong and fiberous
            variants. and that is with NO wild ones to cross with, only the forces of
            natural selection. The same is true of nearly everything I can think of at
            the moment. I am talking about thousands of acres scattered over many types
            of enviroment. I know this natural breeding stuff perhaps like no one else.
            I have yet to meet my companion in this... but would love to.

            Believe me, modern agriculture is not all bad. ...but I just hope to make it
            easier to grow food naturally, develope some of the varieties, perfect some
            of the methods. Fukuoka is sensitive to nature... we need to become aware
            of our world, and if possible less brutal in our relationship to it.... so
            much more to be said ...but words and time ...they are lacking. If we would
            just experiment, like Fukuoka, just think ! ....

            Tim Peters

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Gloria C. Baikauskas
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 29, 2003
              You know, Tim, I suspect it is the 'when' that causes so many
              problems when trying to adapt Fukuoka's methods the most, followed by
              the 'what,' here meaning what is planted. There has been so much
              discussion of whether his methods apply outside of rice, barley, rye,
              apples, etc. Consider thinking about what he grew/grows as his
              adaption of his methods if they had been developed outside of Japan.
              Would he then be asking this same question?

              You are very right in saying that it is the timing that is so basic
              to this style of gardening/farming. Something I have been sensing as
              I have been observing Nature a bit more carefully is that the 'when'
              varies. One can't just pick an arbitrary date on the calendar for
              the 'when.' That is because there are so many variables in
              the 'when,' particularly right now as we are in this magnetic polar
              reversal which won't end most likely until all of this discussion has
              been very long over. It's affect on climates and weather further
              blurs that 'when' almost assuring some defeat in this style...and
              others, too...of gardening/farming.

              Someone on this list sent a post about the Australians using mint as
              a cover crop/green mulch with success in their drought seasons for
              growing vegetables. I would like to know more about that myself, if
              whoever it was has anymore information to share. Mint will grow in
              so many places, and it can include all things within the mint family,
              including Greek oregano. This idea really intrigues me as one which
              might make natural farming succeed even better outside of Japan. It
              also might appeal more to folks thinking about a dual crop of
              vegetables and herbs. I did just read something on one of my other
              gardening lists re viola crowding out and killing the mint that they
              were growing to try just such an idea. I am also wondering if mint
              has any other simbiotic uses in this kind of gardening/farming. Does
              it only take from the soil, or is there something that it also adds
              to the process? I know it attracts harmful insects.

              I am not one who normally plants in rows, nor even in blocks, but
              rather helter-skelter, as I discovered before joining this group that
              in doing so I had healthier plants with no disease, nor insect
              problems at all....not even in the grasshopper plague that was
              devouring and destroying my neighbors' yards and properties/crops.
              My experiments were done from my own thoughts at the time, and on a
              very small scale. What it was able to tell me, though, by not
              including a large area was that it did work as the other areas around
              it were affected by both disease and insect infestation.

              I am trying this year the idea (again on a small scale because of
              both my own physical limitations and for comparison purposes) using
              round mounds and swales....along with the idea of using mint as a
              cover crop/green mulch. The problem is that I am working with
              basically dead soil. Most of the time I must take care in developing
              small areas at a time to bring the fertiity/life up in the soil to a
              point I can use it for any purpose. I am seeing the error of my
              ways/thoughts now in this as the soil is supporting only the mint
              right now for the most part. Mint is supposed to need rich soil.
              This is not rich soil except that I simply took the soil from the
              swales to make the mounds leaving the plant material within it to
              decompose on its own. At first I used the rye grass as a mulch until
              I discovered all about allelopathic properties and removed it. Am I
              now seeing the afteraffects of it still after a few months of its
              being gone from the mounds? Seeds are not germinating as they
              should. I did not use seedballs for this purpose because the mounds
              are really small. Instead I scattered them by hand helter-skelter
              which has worked well for me in the past. Somehow the seeds always
              seem to find themselves in the right order and grow. The mint was
              planted from purchased plants....and it is peppermint. I have some
              Greek oregano on another area which has not yet taken enough hold to
              spread and thrive.

              Do I need to instead fertilize and therefore muddy the results?
              Should I totally rethink the project? Should I cover these mounds
              with the native cedar mulch as I have always done in the past? These
              are questions I am dealing with in a large way right now. I am not
              used to failure in gardening. Did I choose the wrong seed/plant
              groups to plant? I used in the 4 mounds dotted mint, sunflowers (2
              varieties), the heirloom marigolds that reach heights of up to 5 or 6
              feet, peach (variety) tomatoes, a variety of green bush type beans,
              lemon cucumbers, nicotiana (I forget which variety right now), and I
              believe some lemon basil, nardello peppers, some of the greens like
              mustard....I am most likely forgetting some here, but it gives you an
              idea. Inbetween the mounds is a Korean lilac, rosemary, and a tea
              form rose, and a climbing rose. It is in the area just outside of my
              orchard for the purpose of not just trying to conserve/build up
              water, but also to stop erosion further down the hill. It has a
              fenceline behind it.

              Got any suggestions that might turn this failure into a success? By
              the way...I do have access to chicken manure as I do raise chickens.
              Gloria