Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Ecocity Builders and Richard Register

  • Robert Monie
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 9, 2003
      Hi Gloria,
      The distinction between city and country (urban and rural) is extremely artificial. It goes back to the idea of having a large class of peasants permanenly engaged in farm labor to feed smaller groups of their "betters," including nobles, clerics, and merchants. Nothing could be less suited to democracy and universal freedom. Eventually the nobles, clerics, and merchants, if their senses have not been completely atrophied, will yearn for more greenery, and the peasants will want to do something better than labor on the farm.
      Cities can be reworked to include not only green space and nicely cropped fruit trees but also wild places and small-to-medium natural farms. Register is pointing in the right direction to get there.
      Bob Monie

      "Gloria C. Baikauskas" <gcb49@...> wrote:I actually believe we would all live better lives if our cities had
      no streets. I think food crops should often be grown in right of way
      areas for the poor.....out of work....retired.....those who can't
      garden themselves to help tend and harvest. I would like to see the
      world of the future be one where roads stop at city outskirts...and
      safe public transport begins. I see a polar opposite in places like
      Sao Paolo, Brazil, which has few green areas and many
      streets/pavement, and in Curitiba, Brazil, the capitol of the state
      of Parana, which banned all traffic in the center of the city several
      years ago.
      Wouldn't it be better to buy fresh herbs, for instance, that were
      able to be grown right next to the herb market? It would be better
      for everyone to grow their own, but we do realize that some people
      will not do that even if given the opportunity. They just don't like
      gardening.
      In Texas we have parks that are all pecan trees. People in the towns
      can go to the park in the fall and pick them up from the ground for
      their holiday baking..or just for healthy eating. There are never
      enough pecans.....but isn't it a cool thought that children playing
      in the autumn can pick up a pecan and with the help of an adult crack
      it open to eat? Apple trees might be easier for the kids because
      they wouldn't have to crack them open, but some of these parks are
      old pecan plantations that were donated to the cities and towns as
      parks to keep them intact.
      I can see it going much further, but we are a bit off topic...so I
      wil shut up now. *grins*
      Gloria

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
      var lrec_target="_top";var lrec_URL = new Array();lrec_URL[1] = "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.1728375/D=egroupweb/S=1705041947:HM/A=1529139/R=0/id=flashurl/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_mapG/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpll";var link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)";var lrec_flashfile = 'http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-/flash/expert_city/093002_weather_300x250_map.swf?clickTAG='+link+'';var lrec_altURL = "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.1728375/D=egroupweb/S=1705041947:HM/A=1529139/R=1/id=altimgurl/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_mapG/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl";var lrec_altimg = "http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-/flash/expert_city/093002_weather300x250_map.gif";var lrec_width = 300;var lrec_height = 250;

    • Robert Monie
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 9, 2003
        Hi Jeneva,
        Thanks for the URLs to Richard Register. I hadn't looked at his work for a few years and was relying on memory. It's odd how involvement with natural farming can change one's perspective. These renovations of Strawberry Creek had looked very "wild and dangerous" to me back in the 1990s. Today, after growing a few very small polyculture "jungles" of my own, Register's landscape looks as well-manicured as an English manor lawn. But I still like the idea, and his transformations are a lot better than the asphalt and smog jungle (another kind of "jungle").
        Bob Monie

        Jeneva Storme <jenevastorme@...> wrote: Here is their website, and pages with pictures:

        http://www.citizen-planners.org/ecocitybuilders/heart.html

        http://www.citizen-planners.org/ecocitybuilders/downtown.html

        =====
        Greening West Broadway Coordinator
        "Neighbourhood Solutions for Community Change"

        West Broadway Development Corporation
        640 Broadway, Winnipeg, MB R3C 0X3
        phone: 774-3534 fax: 779-2203
        website: http://www.westbroadway.mb.ca