Re: Subject: ducks raising

  • Judy Phillips
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4, 2003
      We are happy to have a few Khaki Campbell ducks about the place--they are
      very domesticated and kid-friendly pets. We do have a small pond for them,
      but you really could get by with a small wading pool if you have access to
      water to clean it out for them regularly. Let me tell you, ducks can muck up
      a body of water incredibly quickly--but the water is great plant food for
      the gardens!
      We do not supplement their feed much, except in winter when they are not
      able to forage for themselves. They get a bit of corn in the winter and food
      scraps from the kitchen. Our ducks hang out here in the yard looking for
      handouts along with the chickens and dogs and other critters. They run out
      to meet visitors when a car arrives. They bed down with the dogs for
      protection at night rather than sleeping in the pond--guess they are pretty
      aware of the local coyote population. All in all pretty fascinating
      creatures really--very communicative and observant.
      I think the key might be what kind of duck and how many--the khakis are
      domesticated and do not migrate. With other types of ducks--well if they did
      not like the scene they would just go elsewhere!
      I have found the ducks are much handier garden mates than our chickens--who
      love nothing more than to scratch up a newly made seedbed, and nip every
      single seedling and piece of fruit in the garden. They eats tons of insects
      and leave our food intact!
      So, if you want to try it, I would suggest starting small and seeing how it
      goes!
      Hope this helps
      Judy
    • Beatrice Gilboa
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4, 2003
        Found it!

        canard de Barbarie = Muscovy duck

        so according to Judy's experience,
        you'd better try with Khaki Campbell ducks

        Beatrice
        Israel