RE: [fukuoka_farming] Re: ducks raising

  • Rishi Miranhshah
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 3, 2003
      i remember having seen them reared on dry fields; but now on googling a
      little, i realize it's quite a cruel practice - they develop eye
      diseases, and a lot more.

      -rishi

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 4, 2003
        The kind of duck I was refering to in my last post is
        (in french, but maybe it is similar in american-english?
        no idea of the translation...)
        "duck of Barbarie"
        if it's means somthing to you.

        Best wishes

        Beatrice
        Israel

      • Michiyo Shibuya
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 4, 2003
          I checked out websites of Duck farming in Japan that Bob once mentioned.
          Accordng to them, this method was employed in Azuchi momoyama period of
          Japan,
          (400 years ago), but replaced by the modern agriculture after the world war
          II.
          In the modern version of duck farming, they keep duck in the rice paddy,
          (I haven't found the infomation on when in the year they release ducks)
          and the duck do not eat rice except for the ear when it is ready to harvest.
          Ducks would eat weeds, insects, and their swimming would supply oxygen in
          the paddy,
          and their droppings would nurture the plants.
          No feeding, no fertilizer or no weeding.

          The only thing that bothers me is that fact they also harvest duck along
          with the rice.
          How can they ever eat their friends who helped them for half a year.

          Michiyo
        • Jon Wood
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 5, 2003
            --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude
            Catry" <instinct@s...> wrote:
            does any one of you raise ducks without buying feeds ?
            could they do well on only foraging .?
            which plants seems favored by them .?
            we don't have a body of water .
            jean-claude
            *****************
            Wild ducks survive without help from humans: so can tame ducks in a
            few ways. But they'll still need a source of water. A deep pond to
            browse in, a river nearby and ability to fly there and a reason to
            return to you.

            I'd suggest heirloom chickens. Much more benefit to you and your
            homestead perhaps. And, yes, you can grow your own food for them if
            you've enough room.
            Jon Wood
          • Scott Hitchins
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 6, 2003
              This duck is known as Muscovy in many countries. It is good eating and often quite personable.
              Scott H
              Australia