Re: [fukuoka_farming] ducks raising

  • Sergio Montinola
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 3, 2003
      Dear Ingrid,

      You will be better of raising chickens that feed on
      pasture land. Ducks need water.

      Regards,
      Serge Montinola

      --- Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
      <instinct@...> wrote:
      > does any one of you raise ducks without buying feeds
      > ?
      > could they do well on only foraging .?
      > which plants seems favored by them .?
      >
      > we don't have a body of water .
      > jean-claude

      http://tax.yahoo.com
    • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 3, 2003

        > This may not be of any practical help, consequential, possibly.
        > I've seen some people raising ducks in villages of India, alongwith
        > their chicken - without a body of water - primarily on foraging
        > itself. Don't know about any plants they may favor. But if the
        > fields are healthy, they'll find a lot of slugs...

        was it in rice fields or dry fields ?
        jean-claude

      • Beatrice Gilboa
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 3, 2003
          >> does any one of you raise ducks without buying feeds ?
          could they do well on only foraging .?
          which plants seems favored by them .?

          We had duks in my familly in my childhook.
          Without water seems really unapropriate:
          Even with our nice peace of water, they were increadibly voracious:
          every were out of water also and we had to cut supplement of grass for them(they love nettle) .
          a posteriori, I think they were causing more damage than benefit...
          maybe would be better to try - if you want to experience it -
          with really a few according to the surface of your land...

          Best wishes
          Beatrice
          Israel

        • Rishi Miranhshah
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 3, 2003
            i remember having seen them reared on dry fields; but now on googling a
            little, i realize it's quite a cruel practice - they develop eye
            diseases, and a lot more.

            -rishi

            > This may not be of any practical help, consequential, possibly.
            > I've seen some people raising ducks in villages of India, alongwith
            > their chicken - without a body of water - primarily on foraging
            > itself. Don't know about any plants they may favor. But if the
            > fields are healthy, they'll find a lot of slugs...

            was it in rice fields or dry fields ?
            jean-claude

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.1728375/D=egroupweb/S=1705
            041947:HM/A=1513704/R=0/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_02F
            /g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl>

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=246920.2960106.4328965.1728375/D=egrou
            pmail/S=:HM/A=1513704/rand=488288784>

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          • Beatrice Gilboa
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 4, 2003
              The kind of duck I was refering to in my last post is
              (in french, but maybe it is similar in american-english?
              no idea of the translation...)
              "duck of Barbarie"
              if it's means somthing to you.

              Best wishes

              Beatrice
              Israel

            • Michiyo Shibuya
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 4, 2003
                I checked out websites of Duck farming in Japan that Bob once mentioned.
                Accordng to them, this method was employed in Azuchi momoyama period of
                Japan,
                (400 years ago), but replaced by the modern agriculture after the world war
                II.
                In the modern version of duck farming, they keep duck in the rice paddy,
                (I haven't found the infomation on when in the year they release ducks)
                and the duck do not eat rice except for the ear when it is ready to harvest.
                Ducks would eat weeds, insects, and their swimming would supply oxygen in
                the paddy,
                and their droppings would nurture the plants.
                No feeding, no fertilizer or no weeding.

                The only thing that bothers me is that fact they also harvest duck along
                with the rice.
                How can they ever eat their friends who helped them for half a year.

                Michiyo
              • Jon Wood
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 5, 2003
                  --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude
                  Catry" <instinct@s...> wrote:
                  does any one of you raise ducks without buying feeds ?
                  could they do well on only foraging .?
                  which plants seems favored by them .?
                  we don't have a body of water .
                  jean-claude
                  *****************
                  Wild ducks survive without help from humans: so can tame ducks in a
                  few ways. But they'll still need a source of water. A deep pond to
                  browse in, a river nearby and ability to fly there and a reason to
                  return to you.

                  I'd suggest heirloom chickens. Much more benefit to you and your
                  homestead perhaps. And, yes, you can grow your own food for them if
                  you've enough room.
                  Jon Wood
                • Scott Hitchins
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 6, 2003
                    This duck is known as Muscovy in many countries. It is good eating and often quite personable.
                    Scott H
                    Australia