Re: [fukuoka_farming] Organic herbicide

  • Golden Dotter
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2, 2003

      I love weeds.The Bermuda and Kikuyu are valuable
      preventers of erosion, I move them to those
      places.Other "weeds" add color and variety in my
      yard.Some of my edible landscape customers request
      supression of some "weeds" and others are starting to
      loosen up a bit.

      Santa Cruz, California

      --- Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
      <instinct@...> wrote:
      > > I'd suspect that it's not so bad. After all,
      > microorganisms and fungus can
      > > survive natural fires well enough, they should be
      > able to bounce back from
      > > heat/flame treatment on weeds.
      > In that vein, i can say that humans can survive
      > weeds.
      > Natural way of farming is about redefining our place
      > in the natural world
      > where every living beings have a purpose but also
      > just the RIGHT to live
      > and prosper .
      > Not that i am concerned about few more species being
      > threatened in their
      > existence by human actions against their relatives
      > but more concerned by
      > what it does to human spirit and the accrued sense
      > of loneliness and
      > distance experienced that ensue.
      > If we in the "developped world " are not able to
      > question the fondamental of
      > our attitude toward nature ( based on conquer and
      > fight in the struggle ) i
      > understand Masanobu fukuoka's prudence about
      > spreading his approach thru
      > other means than direct contact .
      > jean-claude
    • Larry Haftl
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 4, 2003
        rishi wrote:
        > To tell Larry that we (Radhika and i) miss the frequency of his writing

        Hi Rishi and Radhika,

        I'm tempted to claim that my infrequent posts of late are due to trying to
        practice natural farming rather than talk about it, and that would be true,
        but the real reason is that I have been thinking quite a bit about some
        things that Michiyo posted about Fukuoka-san and the question of written or
        oral transmission.

        I think this mailing list (or any other for that matter) is a modern,
        electronically assisted version of the best type of oral tradition.

        Long ago people would gather in a public place in their village or town to
        discuss matters of all sorts. The matters they discussed were of common
        interest to most, if not all of the participants. Today, for many reasons,
        we don't have many of those public places. Nor do we have enough interests
        in common with most of our neighbors to cause us to create, or recreate such
        places. Many of the communication functions that such places served are now
        served by television, radio, print media, telephones, and the internet.

        But we still have the need to discuss matters with others who are concerned
        about those matters. And that is what internet mailing lists offer us. A
        public forum for discussing matters of common interest. Even though the
        medium appears to be written, it is, in effect, much more oral in format and
        content. Like a discussion in a public square, the comments made are not
        very edited before they are uttered/posted. And like any general
        conversation some people in the group participate and some do not at any
        given time.

        I think this process is very important to us collectively and individually.
        It is a way to acquire and share information in a way that has more impact
        than the written word. Many of the discussions are based on written words
        that are not uttered, or perhaps repeated, in the public forum, but it is
        our personalization of what is being said that gives significant value to
        it. It is part of a very human process of trying to understand by talking it
        over with others, thinking about what is said, perhaps more talk, and
        eventually leading to some action (or not).

        As far as I can tell, there is no one in my immediate vacinity interested in
        or practicing natural farming or gardening. One of my neighbors gardens
        extensively but by using a rototiller and truckloads of amendments and
        fertilizers each year. We talk frequently, but he is so used to doing what
        he has been doing, and harvesting a lot of food in the process, that the
        concept of natural farming is of little or no interest to him. That may
        change if I do it successfully, but until then it means that I have no one
        to talk to about this. Until I come to this mailing list and then I have
        more than 260 people all thinking about (and some even doing) natural
        farming, This is my village square for natural farming. And I visit a few
        other village squares to talk about other or somewhat related topics as

        What we have done/are doing is forming a community public gathering place to
        talk about all things related to natural farming more or less based on the
        ideas of Masanobu Fukuoka. Each of us brings something different to the
        discussion and each of us may take away something different or nothing at
        all. But it is a discussion in the truest sense of an oral tradition even
        though we never hear the words spoken.

        Having said all that, I think the website is more in the written tradition
        just as a bulletin board in the public square was used to post information.
        It provides easily accessible printed information for all to read and,
        hopefully, to discuss.

        And speaking of the website, one of my most favorite things to do with it is
        to post new "stars". It's very much a part of that "building a community"
        thing, especially when the star has a photo of the person or persons. It
        tends to make etherial posts become much more personal and meaningful. I
        would urge all of you who are actually trying to practice natural farming to
        contact me off-list about posting a star on the map. You don't have to have
        a successful natural garden (if you did I would not have a star), but at
        least be making an attempt to do so. It is always possible that something
        you mention in your gardening/farming will provide an important key that
        others need to be successful.

        Larry Haftl