Re: [fukuoka_farming] Organic herbicide

  • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2, 2003
      > I'd suspect that it's not so bad. After all, microorganisms and fungus can
      > survive natural fires well enough, they should be able to bounce back from
      > heat/flame treatment on weeds.

      In that vein, i can say that humans can survive weeds.

      Natural way of farming is about redefining our place in the natural world
      where every living beings have a purpose but also just the RIGHT to live
      and prosper .
      Not that i am concerned about few more species being threatened in their
      existence by human actions against their relatives but more concerned by
      what it does to human spirit and the accrued sense of loneliness and
      distance experienced that ensue.

      If we in the "developped world " are not able to question the fondamental of
      our attitude toward nature ( based on conquer and fight in the struggle ) i
      understand Masanobu fukuoka's prudence about spreading his approach thru
      other means than direct contact .

      jean-claude
    • Golden Dotter
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 2, 2003
        Ingrid,

        I love weeds.The Bermuda and Kikuyu are valuable
        preventers of erosion, I move them to those
        places.Other "weeds" add color and variety in my
        yard.Some of my edible landscape customers request
        supression of some "weeds" and others are starting to
        loosen up a bit.

        Golden
        Santa Cruz, California

        <instinct@...> wrote:

        > > I'd suspect that it's not so bad. After all,
        > microorganisms and fungus can
        > > survive natural fires well enough, they should be
        > able to bounce back from
        > > heat/flame treatment on weeds.
        >

        > In that vein, i can say that humans can survive
        > weeds.
        >
        > Natural way of farming is about redefining our place
        > in the natural world
        > where every living beings have a purpose but also
        > just the RIGHT to live
        > and prosper .
        > Not that i am concerned about few more species being
        > threatened in their
        > existence by human actions against their relatives
        > but more concerned by
        > what it does to human spirit and the accrued sense
        > of loneliness and
        > distance experienced that ensue.
        >
        > If we in the "developped world " are not able to
        > question the fondamental of
        > our attitude toward nature ( based on conquer and
        > fight in the struggle ) i
        > understand Masanobu fukuoka's prudence about
        > spreading his approach thru
        > other means than direct contact .
        >
        > jean-claude

      • Larry Haftl
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 4, 2003
          rishi wrote:
          > To tell Larry that we (Radhika and i) miss the frequency of his writing

          Hi Rishi and Radhika,

          I'm tempted to claim that my infrequent posts of late are due to trying to
          practice natural farming rather than talk about it, and that would be true,
          but the real reason is that I have been thinking quite a bit about some
          things that Michiyo posted about Fukuoka-san and the question of written or
          oral transmission.

          I think this mailing list (or any other for that matter) is a modern,
          electronically assisted version of the best type of oral tradition.

          Long ago people would gather in a public place in their village or town to
          discuss matters of all sorts. The matters they discussed were of common
          interest to most, if not all of the participants. Today, for many reasons,
          we don't have many of those public places. Nor do we have enough interests
          in common with most of our neighbors to cause us to create, or recreate such
          places. Many of the communication functions that such places served are now
          served by television, radio, print media, telephones, and the internet.

          But we still have the need to discuss matters with others who are concerned
          about those matters. And that is what internet mailing lists offer us. A
          public forum for discussing matters of common interest. Even though the
          medium appears to be written, it is, in effect, much more oral in format and
          content. Like a discussion in a public square, the comments made are not
          very edited before they are uttered/posted. And like any general
          conversation some people in the group participate and some do not at any
          given time.

          I think this process is very important to us collectively and individually.
          It is a way to acquire and share information in a way that has more impact
          than the written word. Many of the discussions are based on written words
          that are not uttered, or perhaps repeated, in the public forum, but it is
          our personalization of what is being said that gives significant value to
          it. It is part of a very human process of trying to understand by talking it
          over with others, thinking about what is said, perhaps more talk, and
          eventually leading to some action (or not).

          As far as I can tell, there is no one in my immediate vacinity interested in
          or practicing natural farming or gardening. One of my neighbors gardens
          extensively but by using a rototiller and truckloads of amendments and
          fertilizers each year. We talk frequently, but he is so used to doing what
          he has been doing, and harvesting a lot of food in the process, that the
          concept of natural farming is of little or no interest to him. That may
          change if I do it successfully, but until then it means that I have no one
          to talk to about this. Until I come to this mailing list and then I have
          more than 260 people all thinking about (and some even doing) natural
          farming, This is my village square for natural farming. And I visit a few
          other village squares to talk about other or somewhat related topics as
          well.

          What we have done/are doing is forming a community public gathering place to
          talk about all things related to natural farming more or less based on the
          ideas of Masanobu Fukuoka. Each of us brings something different to the
          discussion and each of us may take away something different or nothing at
          all. But it is a discussion in the truest sense of an oral tradition even
          though we never hear the words spoken.

          Having said all that, I think the website is more in the written tradition
          just as a bulletin board in the public square was used to post information.
          It provides easily accessible printed information for all to read and,
          hopefully, to discuss.

          And speaking of the website, one of my most favorite things to do with it is
          to post new "stars". It's very much a part of that "building a community"
          thing, especially when the star has a photo of the person or persons. It
          tends to make etherial posts become much more personal and meaningful. I
          would urge all of you who are actually trying to practice natural farming to
          contact me off-list about posting a star on the map. You don't have to have
          a successful natural garden (if you did I would not have a star), but at
          least be making an attempt to do so. It is always possible that something
          you mention in your gardening/farming will provide an important key that
          others need to be successful.

          Larry Haftl
          larry@...
          http://LarryHaftl.com