Re: [fukuoka_farming] Organic herbicide

  • Golden Dotter
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2, 2003
      Sean,

      Thanks for your input. After I sent the e-mail, I
      thought of how "unwild" this process is. Also, the
      weeds are 2-4 inches above the soil level and the
      ceramic plate would not touch the soil. I will let you
      know how this works out. Thanks for your suggestions.

      Golden
      Santa Cruz, California

      --- Sean Phelan <yahoo@...> wrote:
      > > > Right now I am using an infrared weed killer
      > that is
      > > > 100% organic. The device uses a heated ceramic
      > plate
      > > > that when passed across the weeds, it burst the
      > cells
      > > > of the plant.
      > > i will be concerned about what it does to
      > microorganisms in the soil .
      >
      > I'd suspect that it's not so bad. After all,
      > microorganisms and fungus can
      > survive natural fires well enough, they should be
      > able to bounce back from a
      > heat/flame treatment on weeds.
      >
      > If you had any doubt, give the soil a good soaking a
      > few hours before
      > treatment - the soil moisture would buffer the soil
      > temp while you flamed
      > the weeds right above it's surface.
      >
      > Sp

      > Sean Phelan
      > Sequoia Consulting - Internet solutions that make
      > sense
      > http://www.sqcn.com

    • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 2, 2003
        > I'd suspect that it's not so bad. After all, microorganisms and fungus can
        > survive natural fires well enough, they should be able to bounce back from
        > heat/flame treatment on weeds.

        In that vein, i can say that humans can survive weeds.

        Natural way of farming is about redefining our place in the natural world
        where every living beings have a purpose but also just the RIGHT to live
        and prosper .
        Not that i am concerned about few more species being threatened in their
        existence by human actions against their relatives but more concerned by
        what it does to human spirit and the accrued sense of loneliness and
        distance experienced that ensue.

        If we in the "developped world " are not able to question the fondamental of
        our attitude toward nature ( based on conquer and fight in the struggle ) i
        understand Masanobu fukuoka's prudence about spreading his approach thru
        other means than direct contact .

        jean-claude
      • Golden Dotter
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 2, 2003
          Ingrid,

          I love weeds.The Bermuda and Kikuyu are valuable
          preventers of erosion, I move them to those
          places.Other "weeds" add color and variety in my
          yard.Some of my edible landscape customers request
          supression of some "weeds" and others are starting to
          loosen up a bit.

          Golden
          Santa Cruz, California

          <instinct@...> wrote:

          > > I'd suspect that it's not so bad. After all,
          > microorganisms and fungus can
          > > survive natural fires well enough, they should be
          > able to bounce back from
          > > heat/flame treatment on weeds.
          >

          > In that vein, i can say that humans can survive
          > weeds.
          >
          > Natural way of farming is about redefining our place
          > in the natural world
          > where every living beings have a purpose but also
          > just the RIGHT to live
          > and prosper .
          > Not that i am concerned about few more species being
          > threatened in their
          > existence by human actions against their relatives
          > but more concerned by
          > what it does to human spirit and the accrued sense
          > of loneliness and
          > distance experienced that ensue.
          >
          > If we in the "developped world " are not able to
          > question the fondamental of
          > our attitude toward nature ( based on conquer and
          > fight in the struggle ) i
          > understand Masanobu fukuoka's prudence about
          > spreading his approach thru
          > other means than direct contact .
          >
          > jean-claude

        • Larry Haftl
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 4, 2003
            rishi wrote:
            > To tell Larry that we (Radhika and i) miss the frequency of his writing

            Hi Rishi and Radhika,

            I'm tempted to claim that my infrequent posts of late are due to trying to
            practice natural farming rather than talk about it, and that would be true,
            but the real reason is that I have been thinking quite a bit about some
            things that Michiyo posted about Fukuoka-san and the question of written or
            oral transmission.

            I think this mailing list (or any other for that matter) is a modern,
            electronically assisted version of the best type of oral tradition.

            Long ago people would gather in a public place in their village or town to
            discuss matters of all sorts. The matters they discussed were of common
            interest to most, if not all of the participants. Today, for many reasons,
            we don't have many of those public places. Nor do we have enough interests
            in common with most of our neighbors to cause us to create, or recreate such
            places. Many of the communication functions that such places served are now
            served by television, radio, print media, telephones, and the internet.

            But we still have the need to discuss matters with others who are concerned
            about those matters. And that is what internet mailing lists offer us. A
            public forum for discussing matters of common interest. Even though the
            medium appears to be written, it is, in effect, much more oral in format and
            content. Like a discussion in a public square, the comments made are not
            very edited before they are uttered/posted. And like any general
            conversation some people in the group participate and some do not at any
            given time.

            I think this process is very important to us collectively and individually.
            It is a way to acquire and share information in a way that has more impact
            than the written word. Many of the discussions are based on written words
            that are not uttered, or perhaps repeated, in the public forum, but it is
            our personalization of what is being said that gives significant value to
            it. It is part of a very human process of trying to understand by talking it
            over with others, thinking about what is said, perhaps more talk, and
            eventually leading to some action (or not).

            As far as I can tell, there is no one in my immediate vacinity interested in
            or practicing natural farming or gardening. One of my neighbors gardens
            extensively but by using a rototiller and truckloads of amendments and
            fertilizers each year. We talk frequently, but he is so used to doing what
            he has been doing, and harvesting a lot of food in the process, that the
            concept of natural farming is of little or no interest to him. That may
            change if I do it successfully, but until then it means that I have no one
            to talk to about this. Until I come to this mailing list and then I have
            more than 260 people all thinking about (and some even doing) natural
            farming, This is my village square for natural farming. And I visit a few
            other village squares to talk about other or somewhat related topics as
            well.

            What we have done/are doing is forming a community public gathering place to
            talk about all things related to natural farming more or less based on the
            ideas of Masanobu Fukuoka. Each of us brings something different to the
            discussion and each of us may take away something different or nothing at
            all. But it is a discussion in the truest sense of an oral tradition even
            though we never hear the words spoken.

            Having said all that, I think the website is more in the written tradition
            just as a bulletin board in the public square was used to post information.
            It provides easily accessible printed information for all to read and,
            hopefully, to discuss.

            And speaking of the website, one of my most favorite things to do with it is
            to post new "stars". It's very much a part of that "building a community"
            thing, especially when the star has a photo of the person or persons. It
            tends to make etherial posts become much more personal and meaningful. I
            would urge all of you who are actually trying to practice natural farming to
            contact me off-list about posting a star on the map. You don't have to have
            a successful natural garden (if you did I would not have a star), but at
            least be making an attempt to do so. It is always possible that something
            you mention in your gardening/farming will provide an important key that
            others need to be successful.

            Larry Haftl
            larry@...
            http://LarryHaftl.com