Re: [fukuoka_farming] Organic herbicide

  • Sean Phelan
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2, 2003
      > > Right now I am using an infrared weed killer that is
      > > 100% organic. The device uses a heated ceramic plate
      > > that when passed across the weeds, it burst the cells
      > > of the plant.
      > i will be concerned about what it does to microorganisms in the soil .

      I'd suspect that it's not so bad. After all, microorganisms and fungus can
      survive natural fires well enough, they should be able to bounce back from a
      heat/flame treatment on weeds.

      If you had any doubt, give the soil a good soaking a few hours before
      treatment - the soil moisture would buffer the soil temp while you flamed
      the weeds right above it's surface.

      Sp

      Sean Phelan
      Sequoia Consulting - Internet solutions that make sense
      http://www.sqcn.com
    • Golden Dotter
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 2, 2003
        Sean,

        Thanks for your input. After I sent the e-mail, I
        thought of how "unwild" this process is. Also, the
        weeds are 2-4 inches above the soil level and the
        ceramic plate would not touch the soil. I will let you
        know how this works out. Thanks for your suggestions.

        Golden
        Santa Cruz, California

        --- Sean Phelan <yahoo@...> wrote:
        > > > Right now I am using an infrared weed killer
        > that is
        > > > 100% organic. The device uses a heated ceramic
        > plate
        > > > that when passed across the weeds, it burst the
        > cells
        > > > of the plant.
        > > i will be concerned about what it does to
        > microorganisms in the soil .
        >
        > I'd suspect that it's not so bad. After all,
        > microorganisms and fungus can
        > survive natural fires well enough, they should be
        > able to bounce back from a
        > heat/flame treatment on weeds.
        >
        > If you had any doubt, give the soil a good soaking a
        > few hours before
        > treatment - the soil moisture would buffer the soil
        > temp while you flamed
        > the weeds right above it's surface.
        >
        > Sp

        > Sean Phelan
        > Sequoia Consulting - Internet solutions that make
        > sense
        > http://www.sqcn.com

      • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 2, 2003
          > I'd suspect that it's not so bad. After all, microorganisms and fungus can
          > survive natural fires well enough, they should be able to bounce back from
          > heat/flame treatment on weeds.

          In that vein, i can say that humans can survive weeds.

          Natural way of farming is about redefining our place in the natural world
          where every living beings have a purpose but also just the RIGHT to live
          and prosper .
          Not that i am concerned about few more species being threatened in their
          existence by human actions against their relatives but more concerned by
          what it does to human spirit and the accrued sense of loneliness and
          distance experienced that ensue.

          If we in the "developped world " are not able to question the fondamental of
          our attitude toward nature ( based on conquer and fight in the struggle ) i
          understand Masanobu fukuoka's prudence about spreading his approach thru
          other means than direct contact .

          jean-claude
        • Golden Dotter
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 2, 2003
            Ingrid,

            I love weeds.The Bermuda and Kikuyu are valuable
            preventers of erosion, I move them to those
            places.Other "weeds" add color and variety in my
            yard.Some of my edible landscape customers request
            supression of some "weeds" and others are starting to
            loosen up a bit.

            Golden
            Santa Cruz, California

            <instinct@...> wrote:

            > > I'd suspect that it's not so bad. After all,
            > microorganisms and fungus can
            > > survive natural fires well enough, they should be
            > able to bounce back from
            > > heat/flame treatment on weeds.
            >

            > In that vein, i can say that humans can survive
            > weeds.
            >
            > Natural way of farming is about redefining our place
            > in the natural world
            > where every living beings have a purpose but also
            > just the RIGHT to live
            > and prosper .
            > Not that i am concerned about few more species being
            > threatened in their
            > existence by human actions against their relatives
            > but more concerned by
            > what it does to human spirit and the accrued sense
            > of loneliness and
            > distance experienced that ensue.
            >
            > If we in the "developped world " are not able to
            > question the fondamental of
            > our attitude toward nature ( based on conquer and
            > fight in the struggle ) i
            > understand Masanobu fukuoka's prudence about
            > spreading his approach thru
            > other means than direct contact .
            >
            > jean-claude

          • Larry Haftl
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 4, 2003
              rishi wrote:
              > To tell Larry that we (Radhika and i) miss the frequency of his writing

              Hi Rishi and Radhika,

              I'm tempted to claim that my infrequent posts of late are due to trying to
              practice natural farming rather than talk about it, and that would be true,
              but the real reason is that I have been thinking quite a bit about some
              things that Michiyo posted about Fukuoka-san and the question of written or
              oral transmission.

              I think this mailing list (or any other for that matter) is a modern,
              electronically assisted version of the best type of oral tradition.

              Long ago people would gather in a public place in their village or town to
              discuss matters of all sorts. The matters they discussed were of common
              interest to most, if not all of the participants. Today, for many reasons,
              we don't have many of those public places. Nor do we have enough interests
              in common with most of our neighbors to cause us to create, or recreate such
              places. Many of the communication functions that such places served are now
              served by television, radio, print media, telephones, and the internet.

              But we still have the need to discuss matters with others who are concerned
              about those matters. And that is what internet mailing lists offer us. A
              public forum for discussing matters of common interest. Even though the
              medium appears to be written, it is, in effect, much more oral in format and
              content. Like a discussion in a public square, the comments made are not
              very edited before they are uttered/posted. And like any general
              conversation some people in the group participate and some do not at any
              given time.

              I think this process is very important to us collectively and individually.
              It is a way to acquire and share information in a way that has more impact
              than the written word. Many of the discussions are based on written words
              that are not uttered, or perhaps repeated, in the public forum, but it is
              our personalization of what is being said that gives significant value to
              it. It is part of a very human process of trying to understand by talking it
              over with others, thinking about what is said, perhaps more talk, and
              eventually leading to some action (or not).

              As far as I can tell, there is no one in my immediate vacinity interested in
              or practicing natural farming or gardening. One of my neighbors gardens
              extensively but by using a rototiller and truckloads of amendments and
              fertilizers each year. We talk frequently, but he is so used to doing what
              he has been doing, and harvesting a lot of food in the process, that the
              concept of natural farming is of little or no interest to him. That may
              change if I do it successfully, but until then it means that I have no one
              to talk to about this. Until I come to this mailing list and then I have
              more than 260 people all thinking about (and some even doing) natural
              farming, This is my village square for natural farming. And I visit a few
              other village squares to talk about other or somewhat related topics as
              well.

              What we have done/are doing is forming a community public gathering place to
              talk about all things related to natural farming more or less based on the
              ideas of Masanobu Fukuoka. Each of us brings something different to the
              discussion and each of us may take away something different or nothing at
              all. But it is a discussion in the truest sense of an oral tradition even
              though we never hear the words spoken.

              Having said all that, I think the website is more in the written tradition
              just as a bulletin board in the public square was used to post information.
              It provides easily accessible printed information for all to read and,
              hopefully, to discuss.

              And speaking of the website, one of my most favorite things to do with it is
              to post new "stars". It's very much a part of that "building a community"
              thing, especially when the star has a photo of the person or persons. It
              tends to make etherial posts become much more personal and meaningful. I
              would urge all of you who are actually trying to practice natural farming to
              contact me off-list about posting a star on the map. You don't have to have
              a successful natural garden (if you did I would not have a star), but at
              least be making an attempt to do so. It is always possible that something
              you mention in your gardening/farming will provide an important key that
              others need to be successful.

              Larry Haftl
              larry@...
              http://LarryHaftl.com