"The Number One Natural Farm in the World" is ??????

  • Robert Monie
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 30, 2003
      Hi Michiyo, Larry, and All

      If Michiyo can bridge the gap between Fukuoka and Ms. Honma in the East and our little group (mostly) in the West, the electrons should start flowing, the filament should start glowing, and we may have some light. Michiyo, I think most of us have been waiting for that moment since we joined this group.

      What is the name of the Indian farm that Fukuoka considers the "number one natural farm in the world?" Do they produce anything commercially? Are they mainly subsistance? Can you buy their seeds? Do they have an Internet address? Do they have internships, allow visits by appointment, or conduct workshops in natural farming for the public?

      Contact with Fukuoka and Honma in any form would be better than no contact at all. I recall that the Russian novelist Vladimir Nabakov would consent to interviews only if the questions were fully written out and presented to him hours (or was it days or weeks) before the actual interview. Any deviation from the announced format, he would quickly reject. If Fukuoka and Honma require such formal etiquette, so be it. I would personally pay a Zen master calligrapher to write my questions on linen paper if I knew they would be answered.

      A major question would be if Fukuoka knows of any top-ranked natural farms in Japan or North America. Unless I am mistaken, Fukuoka travels (or has traveled) more of the world than most of the members of this list combined. If he has kept a roster of natural farms visited, one might legitimately ask if he would like that roster published (and possibly periodically updated) for all to see. If he doesn't want it on the Internet, perhaps in a widely-read magazine (like one of Rodale's or Mother Earth Magazine, etc.)

      In any case, many thanks, Michiyo, for your efforts.

      Bob Monie, among the wild onions in Southeast Louisiana

    • Michiyo Shibuya
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2003
        Hello Sunil,
        This is a site I mentioned before, but many links to natural farming and
        natural farmers in Japan.
        (only in Japanese)
        http://www.6348.co.jp/sizen/

        If you look at the translation of "Seedsavers' guildbook" in Japanese,
        "Tanetori kurabu wo hajimeyou",
        at the end of the book, there are addresses of practicing natural farmers
        within Japan.
        Their website is still under construction.
        http://tane.fubyshare.gr.jp/

        Hello Bob and All,
        This is the update of natural farms and other related organization that is
        on the information I have.
        The names I have are only in Japanese, so please forgive me for serious
        misspelling,
        corrections are most appreciated.

        Japan
        "Seed 21 Iyo"--volunteer group that collects seeds from what you eat
        contact Mr. Sumida 81-(0)89-982-6729

        Greece
        "European Clayball center"
        "Seedbank"

        I heard that Greek government supports fukuoka style clayball to prepare for
        the Olympic Game in 2004.
        I also heard about marching of 30,000(?could be 3000) people with clayballs
        as a greening movement.

        India
        Asyoka natural farm(photograph:p144)
        --the publisher of "one straw revolution"
        (can this be the farm mentioned in the video? I will check as soon as I
        have the video back)
        The natural farm in the video looks like a jungle to me. I don't have
        further information.
        Maybe someone in this list can check it the name with yours?

        Bombay University

        Philippines
        Magsai farm
        Aberue natural farm
        Manila University

        Italy
        Ganoza natural farm
        Paule Baba Foundation(studies of Indian Philosophy)

        The Netherlands
        Thomas farm

        USA
        Natural Farm in Brayn Bush Park(CA)
        UC Davis
        Deforestation experiment succeeded in Apper Plateau(CA)
        Rumbark--sorry for the misspelling, this is a person's name and also a
        company name
        that produces brown rice commercially, semi-fukuoka style since 1979

        I will let you know how it goes with Ms. Honma,
        I am still preparing a letter.

        Michiyo
      • Sunil Babu Shrestha
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2003
          Dear Michiyo san,
          Thank you very much for introducing the useful sites.
          I hope, as a member of this group, I can understand more properly 'Do
          nothing method of farming' of Fukuoka san in the coming days, from your
          and other members' valuable contribution.

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/