drawing the line

  • jamie
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 27, 2003
      Hello Gloria, you ask “Where do we draw the line?” Not dissimilar to the
      length of a piece of string! From the breadth of opinion expressed in those
      who post to the group, I think the answer as to how close to natural
      processes we should adhere is equally broad. Personally, I believe (and I
      believe that Fukuoka believed) that whenever we don’t do something we
      previously did (ie we have given over that function to nature) we come
      closer to NF. However, as experience on this group has shown, especially
      attempts to use seedballs, such reliance on natural processes rely equally
      on close observation of nature as it is expressed on our land/garden. I do
      not have a problem with constructing raised beds, if they perform the task
      of allowing me to then not have to dig again while ensuring I can grow
      decent food – it is also what Fukuoka recommends in The Natural Way (see
      recent discussion on raised beds that relate to pages 141-2 and 217-8).

      I’d say you draw the line from where you begin and try and describe a spiral
      working inwards toward a single point as you reduce your input into nature.
      While some might start from a plowed field, others might wish to start from
      pristine nature. Some might want to feed themselves on the plants they find
      in nature, others might want to feed only on exotic species. Some might grow
      to sell on the open market while others simply for home consumption. Some
      might garden and others might farm. Some might be in California and others
      might be in Spitzbergen. But I would hope that wherever we begin and with
      whatever intention the process of NF will lead us toward a more fulfilling
      life in tune with the natural processes that pulse within us as much as they
      do within the honey bee or aphid.

      Jamie
      Souscayrous

    • Larry Haftl
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4, 2003
        Hi again,

        Since the rain is keeping me from messing up my garden (more on that later),
        I've got a moment and will use it to wax a bit philosophical...

        Jamie wrote:

        > I'd say you draw the line from where you begin and try and describe a
        spiral
        > working inwards toward a single point as you reduce your input into
        nature.
        > While some might start from a plowed field, others might wish to start
        from
        > pristine nature. Some might want to feed themselves on the plants they
        find
        > in nature, others might want to feed only on exotic species. Some might
        grow
        > to sell on the open market while others simply for home consumption. Some
        > might garden and others might farm. Some might be in California and others
        > might be in Spitzbergen. But I would hope that wherever we begin and with
        > whatever intention the process of NF will lead us toward a more fulfilling
        > life in tune with the natural processes that pulse within us as much as
        they
        > do within the honey bee or aphid.

        To me, that's one of the best summaries of what and why we have been
        discussing that I have seen posted here. For whatever reasons, Fukuoka-san
        put words and ideas out into the universe and each of us in our own way is
        responding to them. Fukuoka-san may, or may not, like what we do, or don't
        do, with those words and ideas. Whomever holds the copyrights of his
        published works still has some rights to control the publication and
        republication of the actual works, but the ideas themselves are now out in
        the universe and, like all authors, he no longer has much control over what
        others do, or do not do, with them. Each person who hears/reads those
        words/ideas can do, or not do, with them as they choose and are able to. You
        can try to swallow/absorb/understand/apply those ideas in their totality or
        in bits and pieces.

        Personally, as I've said before, I think there are two aspects to what he
        has said - the practical and the philosophical. To me they are like two
        rails of a railroad that require you to ride on both in order to get
        anywhere. But at the same time I think there is more than one railroad line
        leading to more than one destination, although a lot of lines may lead to
        the same personally preferred destination -- a collaborative relationship
        with the natural world around us that benefits all the critters who share
        it. But that is only what I think. Others may choose to ride only the
        philosophy rail or only the practical rail or to not ride on either or to
        head for other destinations. That is up to them.

        Larry Haftl
        larry@...
        http://LarryHaftl.com
        http://FukuokaFarmingOL.net