Re: [fukuoka_farming] Digest Number 421

  • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 25, 2003
      > some practitioners believed the elements were already there in the soil
      and
      > only needed a healthy soil population of microorganisms in order to make
      > what them available to the plants. This is a fundamental question and
      > penetrates to the heart of natural versus conventional farming.

      yes and i am completelly for this idea but also not all soils are suitable
      to all plants so from the starting point where we divert from the native
      population and introduce plants established as a species on very differents
      mother rock ....

      - there
      > could even be a case where the addition of the rock powder disrupted the
      > natural balance so that the microorganisms might cease to cycle the very
      > mineral elements the rock powder added - any additive is to be used with
      > caution, in small quantities and only ever as a mulch and never turned
      > under).

      i agree totally with that also and so am not for using dolomits for ex that
      are not present at all naturally in our part of the world ( that i know
      f ) i am using rock powder from well drilling from neighbours ( so of the
      same nature that the rocks i am working on .
      I am also creating artificial garden beds directlly on rock bluffs where
      soil didn't have the time to be created naturally , i bring raw organic
      material of any kind that occur naturally ( no cardboard etc but twigs,
      leaves, lawn clipping, feathers or whatever i put my hand on , ) and the
      addition of rock powder makes the soil building up quicker .I also use a
      thin layer of earth to recover a newlly made bed to have something to sow
      on .

      jean-claude>