peace

  • Wendy
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 19, 2003
      greetings to all,

      my apologies for sending this to groups that aren't specifically peace groups... but in my experience with two of these groups, you do care about all and as you all know, this is an urgent matter for all.

      please pass along ideas...

      please at least read the first one below--"Uniting for Peace" UN General Assembly resolution and take action asap-- very good I think... they have an email going to all UN Member states plus--- around 400 contacts in total...)

      1. Most urgent:
      There is a little known UN resolution (#377) that was used
      effectively by the United States to stop British, French and Israeli aggression
      against Egypt in 1956. There is now a push to use this "Uniting for Peace"
      procedure to get the UN General Assembly to demand an immediate
      ceasefire.
      This requires you to send some emails right away:

      The Center for Constitutional Rights is asking for your help in a
      very important action. We hope to create a movement in support of the adoption of a Uniting for Peace Resolution by the United Nations General Assembly to prevent an
      attack on Iraq by the United States, the United Kingdom and other
      nations.
      If even one country requests such a meeting, that alone can trigger
      this procedure.
      > For more info:
      > http://www.voice4change.org/stories/showstory.asp?file=030318~v4c.asp
      > To send an e-mail all UN Member States go to:
      > http://www.voice4change.org/stories/mailUFP.asp

      I am also urging Congress folks to walk out in protest and I wrote to world leaders, including our folks about: if Saddam has done what has been said, then take him to intl. court (war crime tribunal) instead of bombing innocent victims, and so much money and energy on war machine, inspections, etc. I'm suggesting the same for Bush, BEFORE he kills... Also suggested Bush, etc. treating Saddam as a human being and meeting with him, etc.

      to contact elected officials: www.congress.org for all contacts incl. pres.; whitehouse comment line 202-456-1111 or switchboard 456-1414

      love and peace to all!!

      wendy

      > These are very difficult times, but it is important that we not
      > give up. Our powerful and unified resistance to the Iraq war now will
      make
      > the Bush administration think twice before they start the next war.
      We
      send
> [...]
      against
      > Egypt in 1956. There is now a push to use this "Uniting for Peace"
      > procedure to get the UN General Assembly to demand an immediate
      ceasefire.
      > This requires you to send some emails right away:
      >
      > The Center for Constitutional Rights is asking for your help in a
      very
      > important action.
      > We hope to create a movement in support of the adoption of a Uniting
      for
      > Peace Resolution by the United Nations General Assembly to prevent an
      > attack on Iraq by the United States, the United Kingdom and other
      nations.
      > If even one country requests such a meeting, that alone can trigger
      this
      > procedure.
      > For more info:
      > http://www.voice4change.org/stories/showstory.asp?file=030318~v4c.asp
      > To send an e-mail all UN Member States go to:
      > http://www.voice4change.org/stories/mailUFP.asp
      >
      > An excellent source of information on what you can do is at:
      > http://www.unitedforpeace.org/. Some of our favorite ideas:
      >
      > 2. Many campuses are planning walk-outs and rallies for the day after
      war
      > starts. Some of these are listed on the UJP site. If you cannot find
      > information about walk-outs on your campus, you can find fellow
      antiwar
      > activists at your university on the NoIraqAttack signature search
      function,
      > and plan one.
      >
      > 3. Nonviolent civil disobedience. Some actions are already posted at
      > http://www.peacepledge.org/
      > (ci1ijv45wgzawkys1xsnvlrw)/resist/update20030318.shtm
      > and you can find contract people in your area on that page. You can
      also
      > sign the Iraq peace Pledge at:
      > http://www.peacepledge.org/(zqjnp255nf01n5451wldgh55)/Default.aspx
      >
      > 3. Several groups have called for people to wear black armbands to
      protest
      > the war.
      > 4. In a similar vein, a friend of ours suggests changing your email
      > "signature" (the identifier line at the end of your email that your
      email
      > software can add automatically) to have the following message under
      your
      > name:
      >
      > *****************************
      > Please take a visible stand for peace.
      >
      > We think there is greatest power to make people notice if the
      messages are
      > all the same. However, if you prefer individuality, you can of course
      draft
      > your own 'signature" message.
      >
      > 5. A good idea from MoveOn:
      > Waging peace. Put a light in your window. March 18, 2003
      > It now appears that a war may be very close. This is a very sad day.
      We