VS: [fukuoka_farming] RAW FOODS AND DIET IN GENERAL

  • Karri Varpio
    Message 1 of 56 , Mar 10, 2003
      I'm not familiar with instinctive eating. If I don't live close to
      supermarket that has food from everywhere, but try to eat according to what
      is available in our local season, am I in conflict with my paleolithic
      (savanna-living?) instinct?
      Second, isn't our evolution actually kind of co-evolution, in the sense that
      our cultural skills (beginning from the use of fire) have influenced our
      physical evolution (and vice versa). Cooking made some nutritive substances
      more (some less) available to us, and so our metabolism had no need to
      evolutionally specialize to some foodstuff, like meat or tree leaves. (This
      is valid for pre-agricultural times. After that cultural change with new
      foodstuffs has been so fast that evolution hasn't been able to follow;
      allergic and digestive problems with grain proteins are likely to be much
      less after next ten thousand years.)
      Thus, raw food would be no more natural to us than cooked? And, like Fukuoka
      seems to be saying, we can't escape fully from our culture's burden?

      Karri

> [...]
      > over of carnivorous animals are the nutrients dense foods
      > avalable to us in
      > quantities .
      >
      > 3- the neolithic revolution have brought humanity to switch quite abruptly
      > ( in evolutionary terms ) from a high protein and fat diets ( bone marrow
      > and brain are very fatty foods ) to a high carbonhydrate with the
      > introduction of grains and pulses .
      > The metabolic disturbances that ensue are starting to be recognised by
      > modern science ( insuline resistance , cardiovascular health status ...)
      > this upset glycemic yoyo lead to addiction to sweets in an
      > endless viscious
      > cycle ( the same way than tilling bring the need for tilling , fertilisers
      > etc....)
      > Paleo ancestors and hunter gartherers who still live by the old paradigme
      > ( high meats and low carbohydrate intake ) have been and are
      > healthier than
      > the agriculturists .
      >
      > More the food is available less the instintive drive toward it need to be
      > strong . strongly sweets foods are very attractive because they
      > are rare or
      > difficult to obtain in our natural environment ( honey and fruits
      > ) .so most
      > of the
      > regulation happens because of this rather that the taste and smell barrier
      > for meats who play a big role in regulating the intake .
      >
      > so that is where your "fruit eating instinct" come from .
      > If you were to put aside evrything that you know about foods (
      > discriminating knowdledge ) and play the game of instinctive
      > choice of the
      > moment You will be very surprised of your choices .
      > Blinding the eyes is a good way to bypass a lot of the preconceived ideas
      > about foods and their taste.
      > you will not be necessarelly able to give a name to the foods you smell
      > that are very
      > "familiar" to you .
      > I did personally the experience of having smelled and tasted something
      > sweetly delicious and attractive that i discovered afterward was an onion
      > ( and not a walla walla type but a pungeant one) and having smelled a
      > grapefruit without being able to recognise it ( everybody "knows"
      > the smell
      > of a grapefruit ).
      >
      > masanobu p 253 of natural way of farming ,classifie the 4 major types of
      > diets .
      > 1the indulgent diet
      > 2the nutritional diet ( based on science )
      > 3the diet of principal
      > 4the non discriminating diet
      >
      > the instinctive eating framework is an open door to the last one
      > .( there is
      > no limitation of what can be food apart of being in its natural state )
      > preconceived ideas about foods need to be discarded.foods are
      > chosen in the
      > present moment .
      >
      > The instinctive eating framework is also not a guaranteed opening

    • michael
      Message 56 of 56 , Mar 19, 2003
        The tartare and carpaccio taste better already.