Re: [fukuoka_farming] RAW FOODS AND DIET IN GENERAL

  • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
    Message 1 of 56 , Mar 6, 2003

      > I have been interested in diet for a while now, and
      > what I have noticed about the raw foods debate is that
      > people tend to fall into two camps: the ones who
      > swear by the benefits of raw foods (and in many cases,
      > the benefits are rather miraculous) and those who say
      > they began to get sick with various ailments after
      > converting to a raw foods diet (such as severe acne
      > and chronic fatigue). From my perspective, there are
      > no absolutes when it comes to diet.

      a raw diet doesn't mean much apart that the foods is not cooked .there is
      healthy raw diets and very unhealthy ones , if you are from north america
      the trend is toward a very unhealthy way of understanding raw diet , so no
      surprise you met those 2 camps , the ones who swear by it are in a honey
      moon phase , the other ones are ready for divorce .( fondamentally those 2
      camps are 2 phases of the same type of relationship .
      I have to agree that a healthy relationship to food is as rare as a
      healthy marriage.

      By all Western nutritional
      > standards, the people of Ladakh should dying of heart
      > failture, since their diet includes so much fat-ladden
      > butter, but they have been surviving - nah flourishing
      > - on that diet for centuries.

      actually more and more research done in western countries shows that the low
      fat fashion and the push toward vegetable fats had worsen the
      carviovascular status of western countries .
      the Ladhakh without butter will be in trouble . As you pointed out there is
      no mistakes and hazards in any diets established by ancestral wisdom .It
      doesn't mean they have the optimum diet necessarry to a human being but at
      least with the conditions ( not natural ) they created for themselves they
      reached a certain balance in their intake of nutrients .
      Instinctive regulation of eating works at his most efficient with
      undenatured foods ( as we evolved with them for most of our evolution )but
      even when this mechanism get fooled by non original foods (original foods
      are foods with which human species evolved ) the body have still ,in his
      drive toward homeostasis , the ability to correct intake .
      The association of pulses and grains is the most striking exemple .
      Despite the fact that humans started to eat thoses in quantity for a very
      short time ( 10000 years to be generous ) and were not part of original
      foods for our specie or ancestors of our species , agriculturists all over
      the world learned to eat them together to obtain a more complete protein as
      meats were for us before .
      To give you a scale of the time frame of our evolution 10000 years
      represent the fith of one percent of the time necessarry for us to depart
      from apes ( 5 millions years )
      jean-claude
    • michael
      Message 56 of 56 , Mar 19, 2003
        The tartare and carpaccio taste better already.