upload to files

  • souscayrous
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 16, 2001
      I've just uploaded a file to this group's file area, more to test it
      than anything. It shows the interrelationships of soil organisms,
      plants and animals.
      However, the max upload for this group is 20mb with individual
      uploads not exceed 5mb, thus, an attempt to post, say, the works of
      Fukuoka, would be beyond the capacity of this group.
      Does anyone, who is computer savvy, know how we might get some or all
      of his work on the internet and available to a wider audience?

      Souscayrous
    • flylo@txcyber.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 16, 2001
        I'm a moderator on 6+ other Yahoo lists, and I know they routinely
        go in and 'clean house' (delete archived posts from groups that
        have high volume mail.) I don't think this list would qualify as high
        volume, but yahoo also is rather notorious for losing information
        stored on it's servers.
        Large books and lengthy documents are often stored as Zip fies or
        PDF files. A large amount of data can be stored in a Zip folder, and
        downloaded to any interested party's computer as a very small file.
        It wouldn't be available to be read online, however.
        The other option would be to have a related web site linked to this
        discussion group (off Yahoo) where the more important email
        archives and documents could be accessed easily by everyone.
        If you created a WebRing, then everyone who has a web site within
        this group could be linked up. (And each individual stores journals,
        personal notes, their own collections, etc. but linked together in a
        Ring.)
        just some thoughts!
        martha
      • Larry Haftl
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 17, 2001
          From: souscayrous <souscayrous@...>

          > I've just uploaded a file to this group's file area, more to test it
          > than anything. It shows the interrelationships of soil organisms,
          > plants and animals.
          > However, the max upload for this group is 20mb with individual
          > uploads not exceed 5mb, thus, an attempt to post, say, the works of
          > Fukuoka, would be beyond the capacity of this group.
          > Does anyone, who is computer savvy, know how we might get some or all
          > of his work on the internet and available to a wider audience?
          >
          > Souscayrous

          The technology is easy but there are some legal/economic considerations.
          It's one thing to photocopy a part of someone else's book for personal,
          non-commercial use, and quite another matter to post all or large parts of
          that book on the internet.

          If anyone on this list is in direct contact with Fukuoka perhaps they can
          ask him for permission to post all or part of his writings, or suggest that
          Fukuoka have someone do it for him. The posted material could be made
          available at no charge, sold as a downloadable ebook, or posted as a
          combination of both (excepts for free, full text for bucks).

          Larry Haftl
          Journalist * Photographer * Videographer
          www.LarryHaftl.com
        • Larry Haftl
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 17, 2001
            From: <flylo@...>

            > I'm a moderator on 6+ other Yahoo lists, and I know they routinely
            > go in and 'clean house' (delete archived posts from groups that
            > have high volume mail.) I don't think this list would qualify as high
            > volume, but yahoo also is rather notorious for losing information
            > stored on it's servers.
            > Large books and lengthy documents are often stored as Zip fies or
            > PDF files. A large amount of data can be stored in a Zip folder, and
            > downloaded to any interested party's computer as a very small file.
            > It wouldn't be available to be read online, however.
            > The other option would be to have a related web site linked to this
            > discussion group (off Yahoo) where the more important email
            > archives and documents could be accessed easily by everyone.
            > If you created a WebRing, then everyone who has a web site within
            > this group could be linked up. (And each individual stores journals,
            > personal notes, their own collections, etc. but linked together in a
            > Ring.)
            > just some thoughts!
            > martha

            I think your idea of "a related web site linked to this disscussion group
            (off Yahoo)" is excellent. Your idea of a WebRing is even better. Are there
            any/many people on this list that have a web site where related information
            can be or is posted? I've got a web site, but there is currently nothing
            there about natural farming. I'd be glad to set up and maintain a section
            specifically for natural farming if people want to post/read things there,
            but if there is already a somewhat related site then that might be more
            appropriate.