This dying planet

  • Chuck West
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2001
      While I do not subscribe to the aspects of Fukuoka's theories related to
      religion or a higher being, I find much of what I've read today about his
      thinking to be "right on." And to find a train of thought that so closely
      agrees with mine is even more remarkable today, given the article I
      discovered just now:

      http://news.excite.com/printstory/news/ap/010701/12/dangerous-dust

      We're killing this planet in ever-expanding bits and pieces and something
      HAS to be done! Fukuoka is right ... trees, no matter how important to the
      ecosystem, cannot be regenerated fast enough to save the planet. We have to
      resort to tactics which are much more drastic, and which show results much
      quicker. Clay balls very well could be the answer.

      Chuck West in Indiana
    • Stephen Canner
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2, 2001
        > We're killing this planet in ever-expanding bits and
        > pieces and something HAS to be done! Fukuoka is
        right >... trees, no matter how important to the
        ecosystem,
        >cannot be regenerated fast enough to save the planet.

        >We have to resort to tactics which are much more
        >drastic, and which show results much quicker. Clay
        >balls very well could be the answer.

        I, too, think that Fukuoka's methods could go a long
        way towards helping solve some of the major problems
        this planet is facing, but seedballs alone won't do
        it. People will also have to change the way they think
        about nature and behave towards it. In the end, that's
        the only thing that will save us. Sowing a forest with
        seedballs is only beneficial in the long run if the
        local community uses it in a sustainable manner.
        Getting that to happen is the big hurdle.

        Stephen Canner
        Austin, Texas

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • Chuck West
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 2, 2001
          Of course! This just makes more sense than trying to rely solely on
          reforestation, which often is the only thing mentioned.

          Chuck