Re: Scientific use, and Ms. Emilia

  • debhlv <debhlv@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 15, 2003
      -----Hello Sergio!
      -I have to chuckle at your first reply; not in derision, but in acknowledgement of coincidence- as in- Dang! Funny it's put that way!

      I had been ranting and raving to someone a day or so ago, and actually did call genetic engineering a disease. Nothing scientific at all, purely "literary license", if I may use the term loosely. Very loosely. It wasn't even literature, just a note to a friend. I think the phrase was something like: The disease of fooling with our Mom Earth and her helixes..." Am having a well deserved laugh at myself! What's the use of being a self-acclaimed expert on everything, if I can't have a chuckle or two from it? <G>
      Believe me, Serge, I speak, often, before I think. One reason I get myself into such trouble.

      But, seriously now, in the genetetic engineering, and the disease reference post to this group, I was not clear. I was not trying to actually equate genetic engineering with disease. Let me put my last brain cell into action, and see if I can clarify what I was trying to say, so you can help me understand better.

      The disease, as I understand mad cow, or Creuzfelt-Jacob disease (sp?), is a form of spongiform neurodegenerative disorder caused by prions, a form of protein that mutates normal proteins, possibly by genetic code disruption. As I understand, the prions themselves have no gentics inherent-i.e. DNA. I do not know about RNA, but seem to recall that, also, was absent. Prions are not effectively controlled. Am thinking there is another disease with the same origin, I keep thinking scabies, but that isn't it. I just remember it as being a form of neurodegenerative, spongiform disorder that affects sheep, and is similar to, or a form of, mad cow. . ARGH! Sorry for my lack of specificity! Anyway, there has been some evidence that part of the mad cow problem has stemmed from injestion of this sheep form, through contaminated meat included in the cattle feed. I am unsure of human instances of the disease, but do remember there
      were cases in which it was suspected, possibly from infestion of infected meat products, also.

      There is the use of genetic engineering, combining animal and vegetable matter. Perhaps, if the prions themselves are indeed lacking genetic helixes, it isn't a problem. But the prions, themselves, could be, no matter the genetic manipulation of the orginal microbial matter. The ability of prions to mutate normal
      proteins, however, does make me wonder.

      Am I just being a nervous nellie here?

      The genetic engineering itself is not a disease, aside from my first mention at the top of the post here. That was only me giving vent to a dramatic nature, and having a chuckle at me, because of it.

      But, my concern is this: the genetic engineering, without appropriate control and long term study, may open the proverbial, before we are prepared to deal with any consequences.

      In the case of prions, which are not a thing we know now how to control effectively, from a product of genetic engineering, which needs, again, better long term study, we may have Pandora sitting on our laps, with Medusa's hair, Athena's strength and agility. The two are seperate issues, but they are speaking
      here, as I understand, of one being produced by the other.

      I was grateful to read your statement about research. Thank You! My unease is that, as often happens with a new developement, those who are not as responsible will profit quickly, without the appropriate safeguards and clear answers in place.

      This does hit home to me. In my area, I am afraid to grow my corn, because of G.E stuff that is grown not too far from here, and in the upwind of prevailing winds during pollination times for some of my favorites, depending on when the G.E. fields are planted. No one is free with information about
      where, and when, such fields are planted, which tells me I should just refrain from corn. I also cannot trust corn raised by anyone else here, for the same reason. Much profit, even if it has to be done at midnight's turn, figuratively and literally speaking. I was given wonderful heirloom corn from some folk, and
      I need to give it to people who live good distances away from me, because of this. That is a small thing to many, I understand. It hits me hard, though. Corn is one thing my son will eat in all forms, and I do prefer to know my food is grown by us, therefore knowing it's safety.
      I'm gonna miss my corn.

      The profit motive is so strong is some, that they will jump the gun on production, large scale, before the critical contraindications or other cautions are understood. That is a worry.

      I thank you for your reply. I didn't realize how sloppily I had spoken. Hope I corrected some of it, I would like to understand more. deb